BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,.

This is my first post, first like to say that until I'd read bc4x4, I had no idea all that could be done to these little buggies. I'd never thought I'd be the owner of one, but after several months checking out the site I went and found myself a nice one last week, and took it out for a 4x4 in the Becker lake area of Vernon Yesterday.

I am impressed, and even better was the impression left on my cousin who use to dirt bike the area allot as a kid. He was SURE that there was no way I'd be taking a Tracker up any of those trails.

I got myself a stock 94 Tracker 5spd with manual steering, and I'm pretty happy with what it was able to do. This is my first 4x4, and after the event I'm starting to dream about a lift kit and some bigger tires.

My question is this,. I was worried when I bought the thing that Manual steering would be a pain. It's not noticeable at all when on the highway, and really not noticeable in every day driving other then trying to park into my tight spot when I get home. BUT I was noticing that there were some parts on the trials yesterday, that, if I could get the wheels to move a little faster I could have avoided some extra bumps that are putting the buggy in places I didn't have in mind.

If I'm looking at getting the CALMINI 3" Suspension System + 3" body lift, with something like 33" Mudders. Would It almost be necessary to have power steering?

If power steering is one of those absolutely must have things for lifted, is it something I can replace on this current tracker, or would I be better off selling this and getting into another with power, before I invest any $$.

Your thoughts on Power vs Manual would be appreciated.

Thanks Kindly
Rob:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a sidekick on 31 and I didn't have power steering it would have been nice some times but it worked well with out it to. You can get the stuff off of a track with power steering for a few hundred bucks and it all bolts right up to you track. You will have to look in to a idler arm brace for sure if you go power steering but they aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
If you can get it, get it. That swap would be easy and the benefits are well worth the expense.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
With 33's you will have some major issues, unless you like to strong arm in the rocks? lol

Power steering comes up for sale used once in a while. Check here and craigslist..... The wreckers

might give you the shaft.....

Also, be very aware that 33's and Suzuki axles are not recommended if you are planning

any real offroading trips ...... (We have personally broken several axle shafts on the rear

tracker axle when running 33's & sammy SAS which also did not hold up to the abuse-broken shafts & birfs)

31's are a max tire if you want to maintain longevity, but again it depends how hard

you plan on wheeling. :D

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts