BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Norton Lake off Stawamus Indian FSR for the first time last week. I followed the backroads map to a spot that looked like it would be right at the lake but instead it was a lookout point on a hill east of the lake. Across the lake I could see with my binoculars a beach. Is there any way to access the beach or shore by vehicle? It seems that the other roads that the backroads map showed ended before the lake. Thanks

p.s. any fish in there?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hmm Norton lake can get you turned around. I recall after leaving the main road, switched up the hill, over some annoying 8" wide and 8" deep mini water bars.

Then went left at the "Y" in the road, up a long incline, down into a large cross ditch. I then forked Right, up and curved to the left and carried up towards the lake, just before the lake you fork left and go over a geriatric log bridge and end up skirting the North side of the lake. I hear there are fish in there, check with the backroad book, - although it isn't to clear either.

You may not have turned to the right after the cross ditch as I was inclined not to.

It's about the size of Sasamat Lake in Port Moody about 40Acres. It's just oval in shape not round. Pretty spot

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
BigRig said:
I went to Norton Lake off Stawamus Indian FSR for the first time last week. I followed the backroads map to a spot that looked like it would be right at the lake but instead it was a lookout point on a hill east of the lake. Across the lake I could see with my binoculars a beach. Is there any way to access the beach or shore by vehicle? It seems that the other roads that the backroads map showed ended before the lake. Thanks

p.s. any fish in there?
Sounds like you took the right fork after the large cross ditch. Had you gone left, you would have ended up at the beach. I have been on the road you are talking about, sort of rough and closed in a bit. I didn't go all the way to the end though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Everyone makes that mistake at first.

It should be really obvious where to go once you're in the wrong place! Go back to the last split and you should have gone left instead of right (or is it wrong?)

Anyway, there ARE fish in there. They are very difficult and apparantly there used to be some monsters but I've never caught anything over 14". It's not a bad place to camp, though, and it's rarely crowded.

Incidentally, I heard a story from an old guy who fishes there periodically. About 5 yrs ago he was out on the water and there was a large group of young ladies up there attempting to fix their tan lines. Why doesn't this happen while I'm fishing?!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Adam B said:

Incidentally, I heard a story from an old guy who fishes there periodically. About 5 yrs ago he was out on the water and there was a large group of young ladies up there attempting to fix their tan lines. Why doesn't this happen while I'm fishing?!
Sounds like a fish story to me :laugh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been there done that

Ya! I went right instead of left to. We figure it to be wrong but kept on going.....till a tree was across the pah and i backed down. We went back and took the left fork and it (the lake)was there instantly.... AS SOON as you round the trees. We spent the day on that beach. But we were swimming..... some folks were fishing futher up the road, and there were a couple people out on the lake, but i don't know if anyone caught anything. Whats up that right fork?..... bettin' if i read on past the first few messages i'll answer my own question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts