BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the heck do you get rid of the saggin front end on a ford ranger. I don't wheel with the truck but with the truck being xtended cab it looks quite gay with the front 2" lower than the rear end, if I could get the front end at the same heigth as the rear it would suit my needs quite well. Any sugestions as to how I can level out my 4x4. Cheaper the possible. Thanks Hamish

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Any company that makes lift kits will make 2" leveling coils for your vehicle, it may look gay but there is a reason for the a$$ end of a pickup always being higher than the front, they are meant to carry loads, but I know what you mean, my 96 F150 had the same problem, so I got a 6" lift for it, but that was close to 2 grand just for parts. The leveling coils will not be that expensive, you should also install longer shocks, you might be looking around $500 dollars for everything including installation...give Cory @ Kodiak Custom Vehicles a call, he does wicked work in Port Kells....here is his email [email protected] him that matt from mitutoyo sent you.

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey hammie
go to a machine shop have 2 pieces of stock cut that are the same diameter as your spring perches cut them the thickness you want to lift the front end.drill them for the spring perch bolt to fit through then put in some moog camber adjusters voila 5 bucks for the steel and probably $75. for the adjusters and a little time in the driveway make sure you have enough bolt to get the nut back on y

Greg

------------------
89 ranger 5" tall and a front lincoln locker
rear auburn and lotsof neat gadgets

[This message has been edited by gregjack62 (edited July 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A nice cheap option, I like it. How bad would 2" lift in the front throw out my alignment? Have you done this modification before? Thanks Hammy

·
Registered
189 Posts
check the length of the bolt above the nut that holds your coil perches and that is how high you can lift it this way cause you need to get the nut back on
you will definately need new camber adjusters
i have it done on mine and it works perfectly
you can see it in my sig picture sort of ,thats if it doesn't keep dissapearing

the spacers go under the perches
also if you don't have the 4.0 then go to a wrecker and get the springs from one because there stiffer which will help when you throw a winch on the front i was only able to fit a
1 1/2 " spacer in but the heavier coils gave me another 1/2 " moog also makes caster adjusters for your radius arms which you don't need but are an option mine have been in the box for 2 yrs but i'm going to put them in this week just to see if theres a differance

------------------

[This message has been edited by gregjack62 (edited July 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The spacer is a great idea, have fun with the bump steer though! You might want to look into some steering linkage mods as well to minimize the steering geometry changes...but is should be OK.

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, it looks like i might try the spacer idea, and do a 2" body lift. What kind of shocks do you guys run? Mine are shot and it ride like hell. I think I will put a drop pitman arm in to get rid of some of the bump steer along with a steerin stabilizer. Every lift kit seems to be about 1000 bucks with shocks and well I don't need 4" of lift. I had a sami and well you just cant wheel in a ranger like you can in a sami and im not even going to try, I will buy a quad to do that. What kind of shocks does everyone run??????? \

Thanks Hammy

·
Registered
228 Posts
You should only run a 1" spacer under the springs. Anything greater puts WAY too torque on the spring bolt. I've done the 1" spacer though, and it works like a charm. You definitely will need to align with degreed camber bushings.

As for shocks, Rancho 5000's seem to work pretty darn good. And they're not too pricey.

Cheers
Dale

------------------
1992 Ford Exploder
6" lift, solid Dana44, 33's

"Soccer mom's car on 'roids"

·
Registered
189 Posts
ok
just ran out and measured the spacer it is
1 1/4inches in height my truck and i have extreme 4x for yrs like that no problem i do use a stabilizer. the bolt wont be a problem and with the 3" body lift i run 32 11.50 bfg muds no problem no banged fenders r

------------------

[This message has been edited by gregjack62 (edited July 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow guys that helps out a bunch, I think I will try the spacers this weekend. What camber adjusters do you guys use just so I can get a set ordered in? Thanks Hammy
Anyone have any pics of the spacers installed?

·
Registered
189 Posts
i use the superlift adjusters but i believe moog makes them now and there supposed to be better phone an alignment shop or three(just incase they only recommend what they have in stock) that knows ford ttb's and see what they recommend

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
Instead of raising the front why not drop the back. If you don't wheel it of carry large loads it will not make any difference.
And it won't cost but a few bucks for some grade 8 hardware.

Remove the rear leaf spring hangers, flip them upside down, and switch them to the other side of the truck. This will actually increase rear wheel travel, giving you more down travel, while lowering the center of gravity making the truck handle better and ride smoother. It's also called a rear shackle reversal.

The only tough part is removing the spring hangers as they are riveted on. I drilled mine out but never flipped them as I was putting in a lift and wanted more up travel. It would have defeated the purpose of my 6 grand investment. Besides, the front end of a Ranger is abitch to work on at the best of times.

Check out www.therangerstation.com for links to things that you can do to make your Ranger walk on most Jeeps, etc.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that info, just had spacers made up and they should go in this weekend if everything goes well. I hope it works, I will let everyone know how it turns out and I will post pics. Hammy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts