BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not a hardcore offroader or anything...I just do a little here and there. Often in pursuit of a lake or river to flyfish in. But one thing I have noticed is that there are barely any Nissans out there in the trails. Lots of domestics, Suzukis, and Toyotas, barely any Nissans. It even reflects on how many after market stuff I can get for my '90 Pathfinder. It either costs an arm or a leg, or it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactlly.. my buds got a 89.. and he paid almost 3000 just for a 3 inch susp lift! my god.. I paid that much for a 6inch lift, rear locker and front arb bush bar.. thats why old stuff kicks!

------------------
[ToYz]>-. 76' CRuiSeR .-<[ToYz]
http://bcoffroad.250x.com

·
Registered
382 Posts
In my opinion the Folks at Nissan REALLY blew it big time!!!!!!!!!!!!
They had the perfect oppertunity to get back a huge section of the 4x4 market. IF they had only put a solid axle in the X-terra from the factory. I would predict that alot of frustrated IFS 4-runner owners would have snapped them up like crazy!!!!!!!!! As it is they sold well BUT as with all Nissan products they will not be supported in the aftermarket and eventually they too will wither away as the pathfinders before them are doing. Toyota is still basking in the afterglow of their 79-85 solid axle trucks. do you think that any of the toyota market would exist if they had always had IFS? no way! Just look at the early model Mazda's or heaven forbid 4x4 Izusus No solid axle= no solid aftermarket. The same goes for the compact trucks from US automakers The Chev S10, Ford Ranger (to some extent) and the Dodge Dakota (to a great extent) all are not even close to a solid axle truck off road(where it counts) If Chev had come out with a Solid Axle S10 highrider edition with a Vortec4.3 Nv4500 and a 241 (easy Atlas swap) and 30 spline 10 bolts (six lug) I might even be tempted into making payment$. I mean the Manufacturers are making lots of Niche market vehicles now. Nissan is just another that failed to realize the potential that lay before it.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

[This message has been edited by ChrisOlson (edited January 06, 2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, it is quiet in here because of other Nissan boards. We have a few Nissan specific boards, and a pretty good flow on other boards, like ORC. So since we are admittedly a small community, In particular those who REALLY wheel our Nissans, we try not to spread ourselves too thin.

I agree that a solid axle for the x-terra would have been a very nice touch. But, at least they based the X on a proven truck chassis and didn't mess it up like Ford with the Escape, which has now been recalled at least a half dozen times.

We are SLOWLY emerging into the aftermarket, but it is small independant crews like EOE nissan-offroad.com that are blazing the way, and hopefully others will follow.

------------------
Tim
[email protected]
Far East 4x4
'95 Nissan P/U
'87 Range Rover

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisOlson:
I mean the Manufacturers are making lots of Niche market vehicles now. Nissan is just another that failed to realize the potential that lay before it.
As much as I'd like to believe you're right, Chris, I don't think we're a large enough niche market for the manufacturers to worry about. For starters, to make us happy, they'd have to make major modifications. Not just swapping one component with a beefier one, but installing a completely different axle and mounting system. PLUS the stuff we would want would raise the price considerably. I'm going to take the pessimist's view on this. Maybe 'cuz the new Jeep Liberty has me depressed, especially after hearing talk that they might put the IFS on the next generation TJ if the Liberty's IFS works well. Sure, it may be "Rubicon tested" but does that really mean a whole lot? Rock stacking and the fact that you don't have to pay for the body damage could make many, many vehicles Rubicon-tested.

Also, the manufacturer's could probably do just fine by releasing special edition models that LOOK like they're capable without actually being capable. They would still sell well and probably provide a much better profit margin.

Of course, now that you mention it, doesn't the High Rider use a different frame from the standard model? Hmm...

BTW, I agree that the XTerra could have been a huge seller for Nissan. They started out with the right idea: a stripped-down, entry-level SUV with enough capacity and power for most truck tasks. Just like they used to be before they became trendy.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
382 Posts
As a matter of fact the Lada Niva is also Rubicon tested Greg Sheridan(Richard's cousin) took his through the 'Con last year! all he had done to it was to mount up a bellypan skidplate and threw in some coil spacers to give some lift. (I mean Ben and I took the LJ through on $29.00 235-75 15 Sport trac's when it was essentially stock). It just bothers me when manufacturers go to all the effort to engineer vehicles that are nowhere near as capable as what they replaced (except for the new F250 Superduty) General Motors could easily have put a solid axle in the S10 I'm sure that it would only require a change in programming to the CNC hydroforming machinery to produce a suitable frame (Greg Laudenschlager could probably answer better on this one) They already own an axle manufacturer (American Axle- makers of the 10,12 and 14 bolts). Nissan could have easily based the front axle for the Xterra on their Patrol components (just as Toyota did with the Minitruck/landcruiser) Personally I think the problem is that all the editors for Road and Track,Car and Driver and other such Wastes of forest products totally slag down hard on any vehicle that dosn't drive and handle like a BMW sedan. I think that every time these mags do this the Editors of the 4x4 Magazines should get together and slap them upside the head!! I don't think that the true 4x4 market is all that small Right now people are holding on to their 70's and 80's vehicles, keeping the old warhorses alive because there is no hope of a replacement on the horizon...the KJ is a CAR!!

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts