14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody, I found this tid-bit while surfing today:

""For those who don't know, I found out a YJ/TJ T-case
will not fit an XJ as they are clocked differently
and will hit the XJ floor pan.
- Dave W""

http://www.bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=6&faqid=155

This revelation is quite troubling to me as I have a '99 TJ Ax-15 and NP-231 in the bed of my Comanche waiting for installation to replace the 2wd Peugeot. :(
Is Dave W. here? Anybody else have experience with this swap? Could I look at this as a possible ground clearance gain? (meaning lots of floor bashing will be in my near future) Or am I just screwed and have to start looking for an XJ 231 case? The above page doesn't mention how much of a clearance difference it is. How much of an angle change is there? :confused: Right now I'm hoping the use of the TJ trans and a custom crossmember will help out.

--Pete

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm hear. In my case it was cheaper to sell the TJ case and buy an XJ case.

As for clearancing it yourself, anything is possible it. I didn't want to beat my floor in, and if I remember correctly I think that the seat mount is pretty close to the area. You could probably drop the t-case crossmember about an inch and it will probably fit, but then you are loosing ground clearance. I never actually got mine in, but some I know actually got it to fit in, but it was resting against the floor and the front driveshaft I believe was hitting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave,
Any chance I could get in touch with someone that has done the swap? My holy grail would be a photo of the installed 'case.
I bought the case and trans together from a low mileage TJ. Any idea if the bolt holes in the AX-15 would be in the same orientation as an XJ AX-15?
I know there are some differences in floorpan between the XJ and MJ. I wonder if they could be in my favor...
And if you thought that wasn't complicated enough, I'll be using the TJ trans mount! (The good news is, I'm already planning on a custom crossmember.)

--Pete

Hmm... The more I ponder this dilema, the more I'm thinking I'll have to wait till I can mount up the trans/Tcase for a "dry fit" of sorts. Then I'll be able to experiment and see what the "conflicts of interest" are. sigh...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think your dry run to see what happens is the best idea. I don't know of anyone who has photos. The other swap I know of was a dealer who replaced a warranty return and didn't think about the potential differences. I don't think there customer was too happy. I don't know what a TJ tranny mount looks like, so don't know how this will effect it. If you are going as far as building a cross member, I'm sure you can build a little drop into it to compensate for any problems.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Oh ya, the biggest reason I didn't swap in my nice 98 TJ case and ended up with an older 91 XJ case was my truck was sitting with a broken t-case in Moab and I was taking another one back down to swap it in so I could drive home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I bet it'd be rather difficult to make "quality" modifications to your floor pan at Moab. Emergency repairs are not exactly the time to start experimenting.
We'll see how this goes. Who knows, maybe I can start a trend!...or maybe not. Maybe I'll just be making a trip to my friendly, neighborhood junk yard. again.

Thanks,
--Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts