BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I picked up my np435 today, I need to know which bell housing to get to mate it to a 5.0ltr. I have a line on a 89 5.0ltr from a f150 with an automatic tranny [don't need].. I want to have a hydrolic clutch, the guy where i bought my tranny from said he had 1 for a mechanical but not hydrolic. So where would I get one or from what vehicle.

Jason

·
Registered
199 Posts
sorry

Everybody is going to hate me but it's "hydraulic".
Ps: It's the bubba talkin so so dont hate me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Like RB said, the hydro :D bellhousing was used in the mid-late 80's. External slave cylinder, so no more of that YJ leaky interal slave BS.

I got my BH, fork, spring, ball from CeeGees on Mitchell Island. If you use the truck 5.0 (less HO, but still pretty good) it will already have the starter you need, but you'll need to find a flywheel. Hopefully you'll be able to find a 5.0L truck flywheel, but if not you could use a 300 (I6) flywheel and have it rebalanced for the 302.

Note: the auto 5.0 will have a different computer (and possibly wiring harness) than the manual one, and the auto computer might not be happy without the auto tranny connected. I'd adise doing your best to track down a standard 5.0 if you want to run a standard tranny...

Chris

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
u2slow said:
I think 'Desteurm' has a mechanical-linkage bellhousing - I've seen a few guys fab brackets to mount slave cylinders.

My 2 cents.
I had it gold plated and hanging on the wall above the fireplace, it is for sale if you want it...:laugh

You can get an external style slave cylinder, as used in the A1 Jeep built for the Ultimate adventure build up featured in Peterson's 4wheel and offroad last year!

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
jason-ramsey said:
Ok I picked up my np435 today, I need to know which bell housing to get to mate it to a 5.0ltr.
Jason
Look at 1986-and-up F250's. A lot of those came with the 5.0 (302ci) or 5.8 (351ci) engines. You may find one in an F350, but not many of them came with the small blocks.

I'm using the same engine and transmission combo, and found my bellhousing in a 1988 F250 2wd.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Re: Re: np435/ bell housing

CJ said:

Look at 1986-and-up F250's. A lot of those came with the 5.0 (302ci) or 5.8 (351ci) engines. You may find one in an F350, but not many of them came with the small blocks.

I'm using the same engine and transmission combo, and found my bellhousing in a 1988 F250 2wd.
Do these have the internal slave cylinder built into the back of the bellhousing? I was wheeling up at stave once in my mint 96 F150, with at that time only 42,000 kms, half way through the trip I started hear a intermitent rattling sound coming from underneath the vehicle. I crawl under and could not isolate where the sound was coming from so I proceeded to head home whille it was still driveable. I removed the clutch inspection boot on the bell housing and fished around inside with a mechanics magnet and pulled out...:eek: One of the four socket head bolts that holds the slave cylindeer in place in the bell housing. . I took the truck into DAMS and they were quite shocked aswell and fixed the problem under warranty. Obviously the yahoo that assembled it did not torque it properly or there was a design flaw. I personally like the idea of using an external slave cylinder to simplify the serviceability on the trail if anything should happen.

my 2 cents...

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Re: Re: Re: np435/ bell housing

desteurm said:

Do these have the internal slave cylinder built into the back of the bellhousing? I was wheeling up at stave once in my mint 96 F150
That's an F150. They might look like the F250/F350 on the surface, but there's a lot different underneath. That's why Chris and I recommended the F250/F350 for the source of the parts; those trucks use an external slave cylinder.

·
Registered
302 Posts
any bellhousing from a 300 inline six will work for you .. Ford went to Hydro in 84 (as was my 84 Bronco) it is an external slave setup. the 300 and SBF (289, 302, 351W) use the same bellhousings, but as mentioned the flywheels will differ in balance ... side note The 300 flywheels were drilled for BOTH the 10" and the 11" clutch, came with either so after rebalancing (89 302 would be 50oz imbalance) you may only need to tap the holes to use the bigger clutch.
Being that the 300 was the standard engine in the F-series, you are more likely to find it looking that way (not everyone seesm to realize the SBF anf I-6 bells were the same part).
hope it helps
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts