BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K...far be it from me to bring up old dirt, but I think we need an o.h.v. park in the lower mainland. I know this dead horse has been flogged so badly that it has no skin left, but I really think that we need one. Everywhere that I used to wheel is gone, and even a few that I haven't ie: Mcnutt, Starvation lake (from the top), Clear creek, Sloquet, Jane Lakes, and the list goes on. Now I know that some will argue that if we get a park the big cheeses will say "wheel there and nowhere else!" B.S. I say. I think that every user group has a right to ask for a park, so why not us? You will all have to excuse me if this issue has been seriously addressed before, but I have not seen it yet. It just seems that we keep getting shut out of crown land, and it burns my ass! So I say, since there is no stopping this, lets ask for a small favor in return! Again... I'm sorry for dredging this old topic up, but I've just about seen enough gates to last a lifetime. (13 today while wheeling) I would like some feedback if anyone has any!

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.

"going around is NOT an option!"

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
My personal view is that we won't see a government sponsored OHV parks in the Lower Mainland. It's a non issue for government. It's easier to gate an area.

Here is an interesting idea that won't be initially popular, a privately owned "for profit" OHV. I wonder if this is what it's going to be like in the future for us too.

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

[This message has been edited by Wil (edited November 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am strongly opposed to an OHV park. They might be fine for soccer moms driving sport cutes with mall-terrain tires, but as far as the rest of us are concerned, like you said, that's the perfect excuse for the gov't to gate public land, saying "oh, they already have an OHV park, so they won't be needing this road now!". Have a read of some of the American mailing lists; how many times can you do the obstacles at Hollister before you get so bored of it, you trade in your truck for a lowrider? I'm tired of reading about those guys going to the same place that doesn't go anywhere, month after month, year after year. Consider yourselves lucky that there are SO many places that you can go, without being forced to limit your activities to a couple of local obstacle courses. Say NO to OHV parks, and say NO to gating public land!

Get out and explore Beautiful British Columbia!

Abbott Lake in the morning

View from Botanie Mtn, late afternoon

As far as deactivating roads, I have already come across some newly deactivated roads under the grizzly program, and those crews are so lazy that they'll pull a bridge on the mainline, post a sign, and consider it done. Never mind that there are two other older, unblocked, established roads into the same trail system, if you are willing to detour a few km's and endure some paint scratches.

Closed road; the road in the background is accessible via a couple other routes. Not sure if this side was the closed side, or if the other side was the closed side, as both sides are equally accessible from different locations.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
109 Posts

Closed road; the road in the background is accessible via a couple other routes. Not sure if this side was the closed side, or if the other side was the closed side, as both sides are equally accessible from different locations.

[/B][/QUOTE]

You can see the sign at the other end. Clearly it is just that fifty foot section (in the middle of nowhere) that is closed.

------------------
Beaten Paths are for Beaten Men.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to think an OHV park would be a good idea but I now feel I must side with Greg on this one. There are a lot of beautiful places to explore in BC that do not have gates. I could not imagine going to the same obstacles over and over again, though with erosion they do become a challenge; ie the hard line on Eagle Ridge, Upper Hut, Lower Starvation, Trophy Trail on Mcnutt. In SW British Columbia you could wheel every weekend of the year on a different trail if you don't mind taking that side trail that you just passed on the main FSR. It could be 100 yards to nowhere or 100 yards that tests every thing you and your rig have got.

Gates are a bad thing, even the forestry guys don't like them because they get damaged and create maintenance. From our discussions with them they prefer to deactivate a road with cross ditches or an equivalent. In Prince George the NCOAS asked a logging company not to close off Baldy Mountain after they were done logging because they liked the area for wheeling(great muck up that way) and they got their wish.

Organizations such as the Four Wheel Drive Association of BC may not seem like much to most wheelers but it is growing into a voice to be heard across BC to keep our trails open to all users. Great success has been had in the Lillooet area as well as the Chilliwack Forest District. We are kept informed of possible closures and asked for our input on the area if it is of use to us.

If people would only stop trashing the areas by creating mud bogs in alpine meadows and dumping garbage and hot vehicles on local hills/hiking/biking trails(read Eagle Ridge) the areas would remain open. We would be seen as responsible citizens instead of the yahoos that we are not.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the input. I think the idea of a privately owned park is a good one. Hey Andy and Wil, don't get me wrong ...I'm as into exploring this beautiful province as anyone on this board, but with everything local being slowly shut down, in time there will be no day trips with any kind of wheelin left for us. The possibilities of a park for casual day use is not completely out to lunch is it? I mean, how many trips have each of us made to the places I mentioned without thinking that it's getting monotanous? (sp?) I wouldn't go there everyday, but 5 or 6 times a year would be alright. I'm not poo-pooing your comments, I think they are completely valid arguments. I guess I'm just sick of signs telling me to go elsewhere...............................................................................................I can't believe I said poo-pooing!?!?!

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.

"going around is NOT an option!"

[This message has been edited by Flex (edited November 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to wheel in alberta were there is two different area to wheel(ohv parks)and it has miles of trails out there and belive me there is some serious mud(McClain Creek) and dam good rock(Wiprious) out there.thats what we need,just adding my input.

------------------
Northern Extream 4x4 Club 82 F/S jimmy gray in colour
6" lift 35" mud kings tires,custom dents
dana 44 front w/locker 14 bolt rear w/govt.lock
always get me on ch 37 "GO BIG OR GO HOME"

·
1,269 Posts
I could definetly jones an OHV park if it was challenging enough that stock vehicles couldn't handle it. The only way I'd keep going back month after month was if it was damn difficult.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, some mods, lots of duct tape and zap straps.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Owens:

You can see the sign at the other end. Clearly it is just that fifty foot section (in the middle of nowhere) that is closed.

Yes, that is what we assumed also, as we drove around it on a different road. Obviously, grizzlies are sedentary beasts who have no desire to roam outside their designated 50' section of road. =)

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
Hey you guys should check this site out. It's cheap and looks like a very big area.
http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

The only thing is that if your wheelbase is over 107" you are limited to two areas, and if you are over 120" you can't go in at all. I'm not sure, but aren't most rigs other than jeeps over 120" wheelbase?

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:

The only thing is that if your wheelbase is over 107" you are limited to two areas, and if you are over 120" you can't go in at all. I'm not sure, but aren't most rigs other than jeeps over 120" wheelbase?

Some of the trails are too extreme so they put size limitations on them. It's understandable, just like here, some trucks fit and some don't. They obviously don't want someone going in and getting in trouble and modifying the trail to fit their rig.

Here are some pics that illustrate the type of trails in that area. Looking at them will make it understandable why a full size rig isn't going to be able to to do them.

[This message has been edited by Wil (edited November 13, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by Wil:
Some of the trails are too extreme so they put size limitations on them. It's understandable, just like here, some trucks fit and some don't. They obviously don't want someone going in and getting in trouble and modifying the trail to fit their rig.

??!?!?!?!!!??!

A full size is just as capable of doing the extreme obstacles. The limitations I would hope are there because the full size trucks can not physically fit on the trail due to width, not because people think they aren't capable of extremem obstacles.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I agree and disagree with you. Only imho, I've seen and known some extremely hardcore fullsize trail guys. Not bogging with a fullsize but technical trail guys. The fullsizes can do some very tough trails and hardcore obstacles and it takes a LOT more skill to drive a fullsize over technical trails than a Jeep, Samurai or Toyota. A fullsize will be totally wedged and the body totally destroyed long before this will happen to a smaller rig.

·
1,269 Posts
I'd agree with Wil in that most fullsizes on extreme trails will end up looking like they got in a scrap with a giant can opener. Then again, I have two or three buddies with F-150s that go zooming through trails way faster than I do. It has alot to do with knowing the exact dimensions of your rig.. or having body armor

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, some mods, lots of duct tape and zap straps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i got to put my 2 cents in. i would have to disagree with putting limits of size of trucks isn't wheeling all about testing your ablilty to cross these obsticle and what about the groups that go out together and help each other out you not only lose the buddy system but friend can't go withfriend and the groups get smaller and you end up staying with you own kind ie;(ford,chevy,toyota,dodge)well you get my point so yes i would say no to o.h.v parks as i enjoy my time with each and every one i go with and would find it hard to deal with if i could not be included in the fun because of make,size or even ability to handle i enjoy my freedom to romp where i want
this is only my opinion and i will not be oppressed

------------------
[email protected]
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
and it's never let me down EVER
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.