BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced my o2 sensor. I guess she's been disconnected since I bought the truck last year. I pulled it and the ceramic was chipped and the body had a big dent in it. Anyways, the little Snap-On computer told me that the engine was running rich. That indicated the need for the changing of the sensor (NFG). Now all is well on the computer but at low RPM, the engine kinda feels like it misses every now and then. Only when driving too. Not while idling. Is this just the engine getting used to running at different fuel/air mixtures? Could this be fixed by adjusting the timing?

Engine = Inline 6
1992 Ford F-150

Thanks,
Steph.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Stephan:
So I just replaced my o2 sensor. I guess she's been disconnected since I bought the truck last year. I pulled it and the ceramic was chipped and the body had a big dent in it. Anyways, the little Snap-On computer told me that the engine was running rich. That indicated the need for the changing of the sensor (NFG). Now all is well on the computer but at low RPM, the engine kinda feels like it misses every now and then. Only when driving too. Not while idling. Is this just the engine getting used to running at different fuel/air mixtures? Could this be fixed by adjusting the timing?

Engine = Inline 6
1992 Ford F-150

Thanks,
Steph.
At low revs under load?
I'd give it the whole tune up, if you haven't all ready. plugs, wires, set timing, set TPS, etc. Might as well do the fuel filter while you're at it!

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you set the timing with the snap-on thing?

My father-in-law and I used one to set up my 91 E250. We went through the whole snaping the throttle, turning the steering wheel L&R,
etc. And I had to change my oxygen sensor too.

I remember doing the timing a couple of times to make sure.

Van runs way better now, but the snap-on computer didn't notice my f*ucked up alternater. I had the same "missing at low rpm's" problem. The new (expensive) alternater fixed all those problems.

I figured that fancy code reader would pick up the voltage drop, but it didn't. I just hooked a multi-meter set to dc volts to the battery posts and ran the truck. Then cranked on both heaters, stereo, lights, and anything else that draws power to see if the voltage dropped, it did.

good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt:
I got new wires (accel 8.8), cap & rotor (wells gold red) in the fall. Plugs are 1 year old. NGK. I would love to put in some platinums but there aren't any part numbers listed. I don't know how to to the TPS and hopefully timing will be done soon.

Phrapp:
The problem wasn't or isn't an issue when the o2 sensor isn't plugged in. I have noticed that my power drops when I have accessories on the go. Especially when the heater and lights are on. I'll try the multimeter thing on my days off.

And how do you set the timing with the computer? Does it tell you what to do? I was just gonna use a timing light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts