BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using an off-center diff in a rear axle with a centered t-case output how much offset (passenger side) would be too much? Can this even be done? Logically this would seem to me to be the same as a steep shaft angle and prone to the same pitfalls... or am I way off here? I can see issues with slip travel during articulation but with a long slip shaft is it workable?

heh... sometime you just gotta ask the really dumb questions. :p

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Spudzz said:
When using an off-center diff in a rear axle with a centered t-case output how much offset (passenger side) would be too much? Can this even be done? Logically this would seem to me to be the same as a steep shaft angle and prone to the same pitfalls... or am I way off here? I can see issues with slip travel during articulation but with a long slip shaft is it workable?

heh... sometime you just gotta ask the really dumb questions. :p
I've seen 4x4s with offset outputs going to centered diffs, and vice versa.

My own Jeep's rear pinion is about 2" off center from the tcase output. No problems.

Using a CV shaft would be a good idea, though.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't see why your first thoughts would not be correct. A person would run into the same problems with lift as you are only changing driveline angle. Shouldn't really matter if it is up or down or sidewise....all the same.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Off-center 3rd: how much is too much?

lars said:

I've seen 4x4s with offset outputs going to centered diffs, and vice versa.

My own Jeep's rear pinion is about 2" off center from the tcase output. No problems.

...lars
CV was in the plan so I know im on the right track at least. :)

This is the offset I'm refering too... again with the volvo. I have decided that I must have these and will make them work with a toy t-case no matter what.

Visually the offset looks to be 4 to 6 inches but it is hard to tell from a picture. The reason is the centered rear needs to come from a 6x6 and they have a lower ratio then I want. The jury is still out on if the higher ratio from an offset 303 (pictured) can be swapped to the (centered) 6x6 axle. Aside from ratio they at present seem to be the same, I just want to touch on all possible senarios though.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Well...you also have the option of putting in a Spicer 18 tcase which has offset front/rear outputs. Then you could install a Saturn over-drive in the 18 which would be nice given the reduction of those portals + diffs.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmm, I'm not so sure. With a CV, the shafts connected to each end (pinion & t-case) have to be in the same plane. Lots of angle is no problem, as long as it's all along that same plane. They're not so happy with compound angles however, and you may get vibrations if you go much beyond the 2" or so that Lars has.

You can run a standard (2-joint) driveshaft on a compound angle however. All that matters in that case is that the two connecting shafts are parallel, not coplanar. With those portals in a Toy pickup, maybe a standard driveshaft is more than enough anyway.

Chris

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just found out that the gears from the 303 will work in the centered 6x6 rear so all is good... now I just need 3k.
Thanks for the replies. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
They're not so happy with compound angles however, and you may get vibrations if you go much beyond the 2" or so that Lars has
I agree. My rear end is offset about 4" if not more, and I've had problems, and yes, i'm using a cv-shaft.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm I think this is starting to develop into a sexual attraction with these axles.... :*******

Here is more on that V70-XC with the 303 portals as it gets ready for The Paris Dakar in 2003.
The specs, and a video of it playing in the sand. Video is large so you may want to save it before playing.

175km/h on portals... whodathunkit! :cool:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The problem with offset diffs to centered t-case, is not that it is at an angle horivontally. The realy problem is that there are horizontal AND verticle angles. A CV joint at each end should give the drive-line enough flex to solve that problem though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts