BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets compile some common sense about offroading a lot of us fail to remember

me, I learned, If your Jeep is your daily vehicle, Offroad on a saturday so you have all day sunday to fix it before monday hehe, Or this case all day monday to fix it before tuesday.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Off the top of my head:

NEVER run over someone's strap or winch cable, no matter how ratty the thing looks.

------------------
99' Blk TJ, 33's, 5" of lift, etc..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by RichTJ:
Off the top of my head:

NEVER run over someone's strap or winch cable, no matter how ratty the thing looks.

I have to ask: Were you the victim or the culprit?

My common sense thing: Hmm...off the top of my head...learn when to use a spotter, and just as impotantly, when not to use a spotter.

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

·
Registered
185 Posts
my advice...... always bring duct tape!!!

------------------
Stock 1985 Suzuki Samurai

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lock your hubs before you think there may be trouble. there's nothing worse than getting stuck in a big mud hole and realizing you haven't locked in your hubs yet.

------------------
DIABLO is an '86 Bronco II XLT
3" lift with 31" M/T's
4:10 gears with rear l/s
K&N, DynoMax exhaust, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada,,,,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Common Sense

As slow as possible, as fast as neccessary.

If you are using a spotter, WATCH THEM, they can see many things that you cannot.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

G

·
Check your gas level and spare for air!
Nothing sucks like gettin' a flat and the spare be dead too. This applies to all those without on board air.

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
'89 Sidekick 3" body

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Before getting back into your rig and driving off, ALWAYS walk around it and make sure there are no obstacles, holes, camp stoves, tool boxes, etc in your path.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
134 Posts
This happened to me Monday. If something electrical isn't working, i.e: compressor, check the ground FIRST!! Don't start ripping out your harness looking for a hidden break. DUHHHH ME STUPID!!!

------------------
Farewell and Adieu, to you fair Spanish ladies...

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you're going to start your engine from outside the vehicle, make sure the manual transmission is in neutral. I know of a guy who ran over his own tent that way. Then he drove his wifes Jeep into another in his driveway. Slow learner, I guess.

Ed

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha

These are pretty good.

Heres another one I came into today

Instead of going out and replacing solenoid and cables and starters, why not check to see if the battery terminal isnt broken or dirty. Broken in my case.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fill your rig with all the recovery equipment you can handle...
-Winch
-Tow straps
-Chain
-Shovel
-Snatch block
-High lift
etc.

Don't ever assume the trail you are going on will not require it!!!!

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Keep thumbs on outside of steering wheel.
My friend had thumbs inside wheel, he hit a rock, steering wheel spun, broke his thumb.

------------------
76 Jimmy 4" lift,3" body lift, 37" tires,lights and other great stuff.

[This message has been edited by vinsimo (edited September 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
376 Posts
Heres my $.02 worth. Never never leave your vehicle on a hill with out having it in gear or park and a functional E brake applied.

I know personally what happens as my sister in law shut the engine off while I had it in 4low in gear (running Auto) but no ebrake (I stepped out to see what was happening on the trail). My sister inlaw turned the engine off from the pass. side and promptly rolled back into the rig behind us, luclky no one was there or it could have been bad.

I also know of someone with a Lada on Eagle Ridge who knows too well what can happen (it is reaching legend status I think).

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
dont get out of the vehicle and leave the engine running ever, or at very least not if its on a hill.

when you going wheeling always take everything you own that has to do with recovery equipment, it add's weight for traction if nothing else.

dont try to do somthing just to show off, tends to have bad results

dont do somthing if it could end up being beyond the abbility of your recovery equipment(I like to say that but never actually abide by that)

------------------
-'85 XJ Pioneer, 2dr, 4cyl, 5spd, 31x10.5's, 2" lift
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's. bone stock(for now)
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by vinsimo:
Keep thumbs on outside of steering wheel.
My friend had thumbs inside wheel, he hit a rock, steering wheel spun, broke his thumb.

heh... Power Stearing is thumb protection.

Never stand near a winch cable when it is winching a truck. Those things will chop down a 4" thick tree if they snap.
Imagin how easily it would chop a person

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited September 05, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Ok i got 2

Never wheel alone! In case u get hurt or stuck and when u get out of your rig always remember to use your e-brake

------------------
" Friends dont let friends drive Fords! "

92 Jeep YJ with 3 inch lift running 31's

·
1,269 Posts
Fluids fluids fluids. Diff fluid, tranny fluid, motor oil, spare oil filters, carb cleaner, water, brake fluid, power steering fluid, I know there's a bunch I'm forgetting. You'd be surprised at how handy a SHOVEL comes in sometimes. It has many applications. Cell phones are a good thing to have whether by yourself or not. If you've got ifs and are going on the freeway afterwards it's always a good idea to double check that the hubs that your idiot friend said he unlocked are actually unlocked. Trust me on that one.

------------------
86 Toy long box with a 6" (hehe) and some 35s. I ain't gonna say I'm planning on doing this or that to it, I'll tell you when I've DONE it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.