BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, it's been about 7,500kms since my last oil change, i have about 180,000kms on my stock jeep that has always used conventional oil. I'm also going to be using an engine flush prior to the change. Unless there's anything else that I should go use otherwise.

What are the steps that I should take to convert over from conventional to synthetic?

What type of oil would you recommend and the procedure that I should go about with? Should I go with synthetic blend or straight to synthetic?

I live in Vancouver, BC Canada and if anyone from this area would recommend some shops where I might be able to go out and pickup from would be much appreaciated.

I've already gotten my purolator oil filter, all i need know is to find an engine flush product and some oil.
I've been reading the forums on JeepsUnlimited and general consensus says to go with an Amsoil Engine Flush and Mobil1 Syn Blend or Full Synthetic. Does anyone know where I might be able to find these products?

Or does anyone have any other type of recommendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using Swepco with excellent results in my ZJ. it is a 93 V8 i bought used with 95,000 km and now have 155k km. I have been using swepco since i bought it 2.5 years ago. I burn about 1L/10,000 km. it is a long life oil used primarily in long haul trucks but since my Jeep is used for short hauls ( 15km to/from work ) i think it is well worth the extra protection. it is very expensive but i usually go 13-15k km between oil changes ( i just change filter at 5k km.)

When the oil is changed you can pay to have swepco do a test and show the problems - fuel content, viscosity etc. for about $10. if your engine is really loose any synthetic etc. will run through quicker then dino oil.

Swepco uses chemical treating to change the properties of the oil ( it is still a dino oil) instead of heat treating like most are manufactured. I was using mobil 1 in previous vehicles but would have used Swepco had i known about it. http://www.swepcousa.com

i get mine from Randal Automotive - 604-581-9224

Karlr

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Schwa94ZJ said:

What are the steps that I should take to convert over from conventional to synthetic?

Drain old oil. Fill with new oil. Synthetic oil is not rocket sience. And befor you go drop 35+ dollars on oil, be aware. The Society of Automotive Engineers changed oil regulations in 2000. Synthetic oil doe snot have to be fully synthetic anymore. The gave it an abseloutley hugley broad range to classify it. It was all a result of Mobil1 suing Castrol. Mobil got screwed big time and since then the purity and quality of all synthetic oil has fallen to ****. Put it this way: why would a company go out of their way to make a awesome synthetic oil, refine it and test it over and over again just to have some other company produce some garbage with like 10% synthetic in it and still be able to call it fully synthetic?

Change your conventional oil and filter every 5k km and you can't go wrong. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Be careful when switching from normal oil to synthetic to in the ways that the seals probably aren't compatible with the syn oil. and may create leaks. Atleast that's what we were taught in school. Thats why you aren't supposed to mix the oils or just 'switch' them. usually you should just stick to what your manufacturer recommends. If the oil isn't working for you, try changing the grade of oil but not the type.
:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts