BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an 88YJ with the 4.2L six. I'm having a problem with oil coming out of the rear breather hose in the valve cover into the air cleaner chamber. If I wasn't running a K&N it would cost me a fortune in paper filters. Any advice?

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
102 Posts
Funny you say that I just cleaned my K&N last nite and noticed some oil in my air filter housing as well. I also noticed that a fiberous type filter about and inch and a half by maybe an inch that is attached inside the air filter housing near the back of it was saturated in oil.

Whats causing this ?

thanks also

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
IBJeepin: Ditto!
I JUST cleaned out my filter, and at the bottom there is a sick oil coated grunge in it.
All I did was clean it out and I havent seen any new stuff yet...

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is usually caused by blow by in the cylinders or can be caused by excess crankcase pressure.

------------------
90 Sub,496BBC,d60,14b,detroits f+r, 44 boggers,th400,np205,insane ,warn15000,balls of steel

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dirty PCV valve.

ie: excess crankcase pressure like camoburpin said.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yep, clogged breathers on the valve cover. Replace the breather grommets and the plastic vacuume lines attached to them.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have this problem too, I have to change the airfilter every time I change my oil. I thought it was a ccv problem but apparently not. I took it in for a compression/leakdown test and the mechanic told me that one of my piston rings was worn, and I needed a new engine. Being poor as hell, I haven't rebuilt or bought a new engine, I've just been driving it, for almost a year now like this.

Just something to check anyhow, hopefully this isn't your problem though!

------------------
1991 2.5L 4cyl
30" BFG AT

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by ScottH:
....baffle inside the valve cover can be clogged and needs to be removed and cleaned.there is an exellent tech article on this at [email protected]
You mean this one? http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/04_apr/valvecover/cover.html

------------------
Chris S.
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by ScottH:
yes,it didn't totally solve my problem,but reduced it by 75%
Glad it helped.

The Comanche in the article eventually needed a rebuild, but the cleaning gave it another year's life first.

------------------
Chris S.
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.