BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87' ranger 2.9L and my oil light stays on even though there's plenty of oil in it. If anyone knows why this would happen or what causes it, their help would be appreciated.

Travis
87' ranger 8" lift 33" bfg's

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I believe the oil light is not for oil level, but rather for oil pressure.

Not sure if this helps?
Wes

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I am not mistaken, it is kind of for both. It comes on when the oil pressure is low; when the oil level is low, there is a loss in pressure. So if there is lots of oil, then you probably need to check the oil pump.

------------------
94 Ranger
29" tires
Just a 3.0 2WD for now.
Nice looking Herculiner bedliner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I canged the oil pan gasket not too long ago and had too take the pump out, would that do anything
travis

·
Registered
127 Posts
One thing you should take into consideration is that it is a light working off some sort of sensor. There is the chance that there is nothing wrong just a screwed sensor. My f250 has the standard oil pressure gauge, it started reading really low then really high. So i put a positive guage in and as it turns out ive got good oil pressure all the time, just a screwed factory guage. Id suggest putting a positive guage in, it wont tell you if your low on oil(thats up to you to check) but you will know if youve got no pressure, instead of trusting "idiot lights". Anyway hope you find the problem before its too late.

------------------
You either MAKE it or BRAKE it!!!! 38" SWAMPERS & 7" of lift Yahoo

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The way the light works, is it has power going to it, and the ground wire is hooked to a pressure switch. When it has pressure, it breaks the circuit, the light has no ground, and it goes off.

When there is no pressure, the wire gets grounded through the switch to the block, and the light goes on.

So you have either
a: no oil pressure
b: bad oil pressure switch
c: wire not attached and hitting a ground
d: wire cut and grounding somewhere.

find the oil pressure switch, see if the wires attached to it, if its attached disconect it and see if the light goes out. It should, if it doesn't that means theres a wiring problem. If it does go out, replace the oil pressure switch, if its still on after you replace the switch and hook it back up, then you have no oil pressure. Rebuild time

Or you could skip all this crap and just install a mechanical oil pressure guage.

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts