BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my air conditioner, and I was told that I can make my factory compressor into on board air. I was also told that fitting a Yorker is tuff in an XJ. Can somone tell me the procedure to transform my compressor....

I understand you need an oiler and something to separate the oil and the air before it enters the tank. Not sure how this works and where to get the parts......

------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Originally posted by ThisSideUp!:
I removed my air conditioner, and I was told that I can make my factory compressor into on board air. I was also told that fitting a Yorker is tuff in an XJ. Can somone tell me the procedure to transform my compressor....

I understand you need an oiler and something to separate the oil and the air before it enters the tank. Not sure how this works and where to get the parts......

Theres really no procedure needed. The a/c pump is already a compressor and just needs a few things so it will work for air. All you need to do is put an inline oiler on the intake side with a filter, and then on the exhaust side you need a pressure regulator, pop-off valve, Pressure gauge, and a check-valve is optional. THen your baically setup.

I'll post some pics of my setup tomorrow and you can look at that for more info. In total it cost me around $150 or so and that includes two 3 gallon air tanks for storage.

Ryan



------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the link...

do you know if he discribes how he connected the oiler and air filter? wondering how the oil gets in the compressor.. and how often he has to empty out the oil from the seperator.

------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Originally posted by ThisSideUp!:
thanks for the link...

do you know if he discribes how he connected the oiler and air filter? wondering how the oil gets in the compressor.. and how often he has to empty out the oil from the seperator.

For my setup, I used an inline oiler from princess auto. The only thing is that the oiler is meant for the high pressure side, not the suction side. So I need to open up the orifice to allow more oil in under less pressure. Or some people dont worry about the oiler, they just make sure they send a couple drops of oil though the intake. This works as well as long as you remember to add the oil. The time it takes to empty your seperator depends on the amount of oil you send though the compressor. It will vary

Ryan



------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
In total it cost me around $150 or so and that includes two 3 gallon air tanks for storage.

Where did you get your air tanks?

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Originally posted by N8:
In total it cost me around $150 or so and that includes two 3 gallon air tanks for storage.

Where did you get your air tanks?

I got the refridgeration tanks that Princess auto was selling. They are regular $35 but I got them on sale for $20. They are good to 350psig and have 4 mountaing tabs welded to them. the only problem is that have weird fittings on them. I had to get some funky adapters to make it work. They are nice a compact for my application.

A rig/semi wrecker will have tanks as well. I didnt have the time to go hunting at the time, but may to get a few other things as soon as I find a local one for me.


My air tanks, that will go under the bed of my truck.


My pressure regulator assembly with pop-off vlave, check-valve, and gauge.

Its removable right now until I get my tanks full installed

Ryan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT




[This message has been edited by RyanEgger (edited December 24, 2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Princess Auto does not sell those tanks anymore. I had to go to the wreckers and pick up a larger tank but it will work.

Oh well Merry Christmas to everyone.


------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there anywhere I can pick up these supplies other than princess auto?

------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Any air compressor place will sell the fittings, valves, and pressure switches. Can get expensive though, which is why most of use like Princess (cheap!).

Fairview Fittings on 1st Ave is a great place for fittings and hose, but I think they're only open on weekdays.

Finally, any big-rig wrecker will have tanks you can use. 99 Truck Parts on King George Hwy is a good one.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is princess auto located and what is the price on the pressure switch?

i went to Home Depot and found both the separator and oiler for ~ $35. Is it cheaper at princess?

------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Originally posted by ThisSideUp!:
Where is princess auto located and what is the price on the pressure switch?

i went to Home Depot and found both the separator and oiler for ~ $35. Is it cheaper at princess?

Its just south of Langley by-pass right behind preston chev-olds
on 200th st.

$35 isnt too bad. I think I only paid less than $10 for each. And the pressure regulator you see in the pics cost me $20 used from a compressor place in langley. The new ones at Princess are around $30 but it didnt go as high of psi for cut-off. I think there max was like 100psi or there abouts. I wanted 125psi to help run air tools. And this one also has a pressure release( the copper tube coming from the bottom going to the one-way check-valve) so the compressor doesnt start under load. Saves its life a little longer.

Ryan


------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went by Princess auto today, I was very impressed with all the toys and gagets there. Like my wife put it "I was like a kid in a candy store! ".

I picked up the seperator, pop safety valve, pressure gauge, a bunch of connectors, air hose and the pressure switch. The pressure switch was on sale at $19.99, but on @ 80psi and off @ 100psi.

This should be OK since most air tools run at 90psi. Now to figure out where to place a tank and what size of a tank. Do you think the bigger the tank the better??

thanks....


------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Originally posted by ThisSideUp!:
I went by Princess auto today, I was very impressed with all the toys and gagets there. Like my wife put it "I was like a kid in a candy store! ".

I picked up the seperator, pop safety valve, pressure gauge, a bunch of connectors, air hose and the pressure switch. The pressure switch was on sale at $19.99, but on @ 80psi and off @ 100psi.

This should be OK since most air tools run at 90psi. Now to figure out where to place a tank and what size of a tank. Do you think the bigger the tank the better??

thanks....


I know how you feel, that place has gotten its fair share of my pay cheques..LOL

Thats why I went with the used presure regulator. On at 80psi of at 125psi or higher if I choose to. I wanted alittle more pressure to run air tools longer and to seat beads if needed.

As for the tank, bigger is always better but also depends on what you goign to use it for. I know some people just use their OBA for airing up and dont use a tank at all. A small tank will help for storage for airing up and so forth. A large tank is great for air tools that require a lot of draw. With my air gun I can buzz off one wheel without problems, and then by the time I get to the next wheel the tank is at full pressure again. If you are going to be running stuff for long periods thats where you need the storage.

I would say go as big as you can before it becomes too big. Those tanks fit perfect under the bed of my truck. Any larger and it would be too much of a hassle.

On a jeep, most go with one tank about 3 gallons and it fits under the tub above the rear axle. That is the most common.

Just find a place you want to mount the tank, take measurements and then go hunting through the wreckers for the tanks and find what fits best. That will be the largest that will fit without too much hassle.

If you have any other Q's, I'll be glad to help

Ryan



------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ryan.. you've been a great help.

I do have a question. I read on off-road.com on how to make a tank from an old fire extinguisher, but noticed that it has one in/out. If I was to put a "T" , one to connect to the tank, the compressor, and the last for the output. Will this setup work with it all connected, or I will have to fill the tank, remove the compressor, then use the air from the tank?

thank again

Vic....

------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......
 

·
Superfly
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by ThisSideUp!:
Thanks Ryan.. you've been a great help.

I do have a question. I read on off-road.com on how to make a tank from an old fire extinguisher, but noticed that it has one in/out. If I was to put a "T" , one to connect to the tank, the compressor, and the last for the output. Will this setup work with it all connected
Should work fine. Only problem is, how will you drain the water out of it? If you mount it vertically, with the t-fitting at the bottom, then that would work.


...lars



------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
could you not just put a water seperator in line just befor the tank??

------------------
94 zj, platnum +4 plugs, xenon lights, 2 inch custom lift 31x10.5, k&n,
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
if you are in cloverdale/langley,there is
a big rig graveyard on 56 ave langley
beside sams pub. can't remember the name.
if you go past train tracks,you've gone
too far.

have tanks and bigass compressors for sale
at that location. maybe one for your
application.

cheers: eric


------------------
when i die ,the jeep goes with me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Originally posted by Kraqa:
could you not just put a water seperator in line just befor the tank??


No because the seperator will only remove moisture going into the tank. If the air going to the trank is warm, and its cold outside you will get a moisture build up inside the tank. If you look at my tank pics, you will notice I have a seperator and drain cocks as well.

But I wont have to worry about that anymore, as I just fried my compressor last weekend. I guess its off to the wreckers tomorrow.

Ryan


------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top