BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found one but don't know it's on an old dodge van (late 60's). it is a twin cylinder (looks like a mini shop air compressor)will it work?
what kind of compressor can I use?
what kind of vehicles are they on?

------------------
wheels, passenger side, roof, drivers side, wheels. am I broken? no . that was fun!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Jon, since you have a chevy engine, run the GM style rotary compressor thats found on almost every car they made.
Cheap and plentiful, just put a bit of lube in the intake so it will live every now and then.
I've got some exellent write ups on the subject you can borrwow.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have one of those in the back yard off of an 83 camaro.

------------------
wheels, passenger side, roof, drivers side, wheels. am I broken? no . that was fun!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and the twin cylinder looks real trick.

------------------

·
Registered
157 Posts
where can i get that info

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
15 Posts
THE EASIEST AND CHEAPEST WAY I HAVE FOUND TO GET ON BOARD AIR IS TO GET AN AIR COND.
COMPRESSOR AND BRACKETRY AT A WRECKERS FOR YOUR VEHICLE YEAR.
INSTALL IT AND RUN A FUSE RELAYED POWER WIRE TO IT AND GROUND THE OTHER WIRE.
RUN THE POWER WIRE THROUGH AN INLINE SWITCH
IN THE DASH.
ALL YOU DO NOW IS INSTALL A SHORT INTAKE HOSE , FILTERED PREFERABLY TO SUCK IN THE AIR
INSTEAD OF FREEON AND ANOTHER HOSE TO A SMALL
AIR TANK,THAT YOU CAN BUY ALMOST ANY WHERE FOR CHEAP. I RAN THE HOSE DOWN THE FRAME TO MY REAR BUMPER AND SET UP A CUPLER THERE,
SO WHEN I NEED AIR FOR MY TOOLS OR EVEN TO SET THE BEAD, I PLUG THE COUPLER IN TO THE HOSE COMING DOWN FROM THE TANK ON MY ROOF RACK.

INGENIOUS

Originally posted by pumpkinmobile:
I think I found one but don't know it's on an old dodge van (late 60's). it is a twin cylinder (looks like a mini shop air compressor)will it work?
what kind of compressor can I use?
what kind of vehicles are they on?

·
Registered
544 Posts
hey Lawrence
do you have a gauge on there?just wondering what kind of pressure a A/C pump puts out.

------------------
I now collect my pay cheque's from the dark side
I am Blue oval,certified,Fucted!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i do have a guage on the tank, the highest i,ve ever put it to was 115 psi. i'm sure it can go much higher but ,you don'nt need to.
even when i by pass the tank, i can inflate a flat 33 inch tire with the engine at 4000 rpm in about 30-40 sec.
most tools need only 90 psi to run.
lawrence

Originally posted by Dan O:
hey Lawrence
do you have a gauge on there?just wondering what kind of pressure a A/C pump puts out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
how do u set up the switch?
is it manual control or is there a pressure sensor? where did u get the parts? thanks

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
15 Posts
the switch is really easy to set up.
on most compresors there are only two wires that run to it, a power and a ground.
ground out the ground to the block and run the power line from the battery to the switch in the dash and then to the compresor,
with an inline fuse in the line rated to the specs on amperage for that particular veh/compresor.(this is the simplest way.)
i have it set up with a relay where it will only turn on with the ignition on, as well as illuminated switch like all the rest of mine.(cockpit effect at night). this way
takes moe time,wires and would be to confusing to try to explain it. (same principle as setting up driving lights with a relay and inline fuse )

mine is manual control, however you can set it up with a regulator cut off. i hav'nt foung the need. i just switch it off at 110 psi and charge it back up if i need to.

i got the compressor and mounting brackets
at the wreckers,the mini tank at princess auto in langley. i actually got everything
other than the stuff at the wreckers at princess auto.
i love that place. if you have'nt been there
you should check it out.
it's a industrial,farm, auto tools accesory
surplus center. they do hydralics, trailers
.... just everything.
all the elctrical, hoses, hardware, gauges,
connectors, and tank i got there.3

lawrence
if you want someone to do it for you call 4 OFF ROAD in maple ridge, (i think that's where they are now)
they originally gave me the idea.

Originally posted by Jamie Smith:
how do u set up the switch?
is it manual control or is there a pressure sensor? where did u get the parts? thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by Jordan:
Until @home finally pulls the plug on my webspace there are a few pictures of my onboard air
http://members.home.net/jordawn/onboard/

JCD

Hey Jordan how much did that set up cost.
ie; compressor, tank, hose, gauges , ect ect

thanks
jason

------------------
IF GOD NEVER CHASED MAN OUTTA THE GARDEN OF EDEN THE GREENIES WOULD HAVE
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts