BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well. were looking at moving back from alberta to be closer to family, and i have my sidekick that i brought out with us when we moved here 3 years ago. its got body rust but im willing to fix it to get it to pass. but im wondering if anyone knows of a shop that will do an out of province and not just say fail it cause its old. (ive had that happen) im wanting to find a shop that understands that a 20 year old truck is going to have bumps and bruises and thats going to take that into account.

looking for a shop in the okanagan (prefer closer to Penticton, kelowna at most)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Fail just because its old? Thats strange, there is nothing in the regulations about failing because its old. I've always had my inspections done at Canadian Tire. I had a 1978 Datsun 620 pickup passed in December. Somehow it didn't get failed for begin old.

A shop can refuse to do an inspection for any reason they like, but they can't fail it because its old, there is no checkbox on the inspection form that says "too old". It has to fail for a ligitimate reason and they have to show you the form.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im looking for a shop thats willing to overlook certain things if you know what i mean... j/k

i know when i got its last oop done it was failed when it drove in with the front crossmember bent (the flange was bent up from it being offroad. i had to tweak it back as much as i could before they would pass it. i know the truck has some holes in the floor that need to be addressed but thats simple to fix. it has one of the rear frame crossmembers repaired from rust problems though. rust was removed and new material welded in.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
im looking for a shop thats willing to overlook certain things if you know what i mean... j/k

i know when i got its last oop done it was failed when it drove in with the front crossmember bent (the flange was bent up from it being offroad. i had to tweak it back as much as i could before they would pass it. i know the truck has some holes in the floor that need to be addressed but thats simple to fix. it has one of the rear frame crossmembers repaired from rust problems though. rust was removed and new material welded in.
cross members are permanent part of the frame or bolted in? if permanent and not bolted on you may have issues with the welding of it. some places will tell you that welding a frame is not legal and fail it for that. floor repairs can be as simple as pop riveting on some sheet metal and something to seal the seams so no exhaust can come through. somebody I know went took there vehicle through provincial inspection last year and was told he could duct tape both sides of the holes(top and bottum) and they would have to pass it because they are not allowed to remove the duct tape to see why its there. other then that make sure you tell them you want an inspection and you will be doing your own repairs(assuming you know how).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You can get a mechanic to go over the truck before spending money to inspect, then re-inspect if it fails.

Get them to go over this checklist .... If you have any questions I just took my CVI inspector course :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.