BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hydra: "was an ancient nameless serpent-like chthonic beast that possessed many heads — the poets mention more heads than the vase-painters could paint, and for each head cut off it grew two more"

It's also the name for my new project(s), because as soon as I finish one job, it's time to start two more.

I recently picked up an '85 4runner frame, that's been sand blasted, patched, & POR15'd. An '88 extra cab body, and an '82 front axle.
[/IMG]

Originally I wasn't quite sure if I was just going to swap my 86 runner body over to the frame, and build a pick up on my ifs chassis. But after a bit of thinking about it, and changing my mind a number of times, my 4runner is staying on the ifs frame, and I'll make the pick up on the '85 frame. The 4runner is good for road trips, and the p/u will be for wheeling.

So after dropping all my spare cash on parts & hiring my buddy's flat deck to go and pick it all up, I've been cruising along doing jobs that don't coast anything or can be accomplished out of materials that are on hand. Cleaning parts, dis-assembling the front axle, organizing my workshop, etc etc.

The first day I made a pair of new body mounts, as the xcab needs the rear two moved back a few inches. I'm leaving the existing ones in place though, maybe tie the cab into those as well, or use them for mounting some rock lights.

This is also the first time that I've been working on a solid front axle, so I've been taking my time pulling the housing apart, cleaning & degreasing all the parts, & generally getting familiar with it. Next up is the wire wheel & zip cut to prep the housing for armour. I've been looking at pictures on the web, and it looks as though I need to cut off the tower on the top side of the axle in order to put on an upper gusset.

I've also been working on my 22r, the route I'm going to keep things simple & cheap (I have both a 22r & a 22re on hand, but the 22r is all buttoned up ready to go. I'll keep the RE as a spare for the 4runner.

The highest priority things for me right now are getting the front axle all rebuilt and getting the frame to a rolling state, it'll be nice to be able to roll it in & out of the shop. Plus then I can start on the cab, or the drive train, or the motor, or the brake lines, or the...., or....... Like I said at the beginning. It's called the Hydra.....

Pics to follow when I'm on the main computer.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spent Sunday at the shop. It was too nice of a day to be inside, so I gave the cab a bit of attention while the sun was out. Scraped the moss (!) off of what I presume was the North side of the body. Removed all the trim from the door seals back. Collected the assorted bolts that were on the floor, always handy to have extra bolts. And generally tidyied it up so I could see what I've got for a cab.
It's in far better shape than I thought, very little rust on it at all. The fenders have a bit on the wheel well, but nothing that wasn't going to be chopped out anyways...

Unfortunatley the good weather didn't last all day, and I retreated back inside in the face of hail & snow flakes. I spent the rest of the day laying out my flat deck. It looks like it'll be just shy of 5'6", that's with minimal over hang on the back. Then I took it all apart and stuck it back on the shelf, to wait until all the running gear & cab is on.

Looking forwards to pay day so I can get cracking on this axle some more

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been having trouble with photo bucket, it keeps saying that my bandwidth has been exceeded. Whatever that means.
So, here's another text only posting. Pics will be up one day....

After a late night & a raging bonfire, I rolled into the workshop at the crack of noon ready for another day of tinkering. First up today I made a new welding cart, to make the upcoming frame welding easier. Turned out really well. Then it was time to get re-aquainted with my wire wheel, spent a couple of hours cleaning up some parts including the front axle housing, transfercase cross member, & some steering components. I also pieced together the front hubs to get familiar with the parts.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Transmission housing has been wire wheeled clean, front receiver has been dry fitted & brackets cut, front axle truss has been stenciled & cut out. Also prepped another Toyota rear axle for my trailer build (yet another project). pretty good evenings work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Another short session, but got the front axle braced up & first coat of paint on it. Also cut out some caps to box off the sides of the front receiver mounts.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put up a couple of pics. Sorry about the links, it didn't come up when I tried the image button.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looking good,
You dont need those brackets on the front of the axle.

Post like this without the *'s
[*IMG]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/Hydra1985/photo-7.jpg[/IMG*]

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some more parts & some more work done to the rig. Axles are together & under the frame, front receiver has been made.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amongst all the other projects I've been working on, I've managed to get a few hours in on the truck. Replaced the bushings in my leafs, put in my $50 hanger bolt, painted a few parts I made, and wrestled my cab on for a test fit.

Getting the cab on was fun, as I did it all on my lonesome. First I rolled it up on edge with some landscaping ties, then I stuck my spare toy axle into the wheel wells ( the axle is for an off road trailer I'm building), then I used an old lawn mower under the back wall of the cab to roll it along. Ghetto, but it worked! Raising it up in the air to drag the frame under it was a bit of a trick, mostly a complex series of pulleys & levers. But it's on for now, and looks great (in an unfinished sort of way). I'll admit, I put a lawn chair in it & had a beer to enjoy the view!

The grill on my runner sits just below my navel, and on the hydra it sits about chest high, but I'm hoping that'll settle a few inches when all is said & done.

Now I can sort out the body mounts for the back of the cab, figure out my clearances for the sliders & bumper, and where I want to mount the fuel tank ( I'd like it to have as flat a belly as possible).

Pics to follow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If it's photobucket. When you put your mouse cursor over the pic a box will show up. Click on the one that says IMG code. It will automatically copy the text. All you have to do then is paste they text in your post when your writing it and you will have a picture in it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Pics from the last few work sessions...

This is the mock up of the front receiver.

Detail of boxing in the ends.

Other side box end.

Frame sat on it axles & 33"s

Getting it up onto an axle so I can move the cab.

Lawnmower / cab cart.

Raising the cab 5' into the air = sketchy.....

But totally worth it too! Cab is temporarily on the frame for measuring & figuring purposes, it'll be coming off again so I can put the powertrain together & do some body work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love the lawnmower cart, Lol.
I have a pretty friking bent up P handled dolly for much the same reason!
Works though eh!
Lookin good so far, I like the pix, keep em rolling....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish!!!
LoL.
Been working way too much lately to make it out to the shop, although things are all set for when I do have another couple of days spare. I'm no longer putting the ext cab on that frame, I'm dropping my 4runner body onto it, which will save a bit of muckin' about (like 2 weeks worth!). Reason is I just scored an 86 pu with a blown head gasket, which will be the new work truck. I like it when things work out like that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Boosted the x-cab body back off of the frame last night, again a one man job with a series of levers and jacks, ready to do some welding & wrenching once again.
Just bought a cut off saw, so now I can get to work on my sliders, bumpers, and gas tank relocation. All things I'd been putting off until the saw went on sale again.

I scored a pickup with a blown head gasket (88 reg cab 4x4), which I'll be dropping my 4runner's motor into for the meantime, while I do the body transfer onto the 85 frame. It's a long way round for doing a solid axle swap, bit everything is going to be real clean under my rig when it's all said & done. At least until I go for a drive.

Next major parts purchase is a high steer kit, and then it's go time for the body swap! I'm doubting I'll have it done by July 1st like I'd hoped, prob more like Sept 1st instead. Ah well, at least it's keeping me busy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spent a couple of hours at the shop on Sunday, mounted my 22r onto the frame, stuck a transmission onto the back of it too. Just need a top shift T-case and the guts of it will be together. I'm looking at a driveline lift as well, it seems like it should be pretty straight forwards without having to work around the body.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been busy wrenching, unfortunately not on the Hydra, did an engine swap into an 88 long box Yota for my new work truck, and have been busy pulling apart another parts truck to round up the last of what I need for my naked extra cab. Man, it's alot of work to pull a wiring harness without damaging anything!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts