BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone considering buying optima battery might want to re think their decision. Here’s my story.

I originally bought the battery for a couple of reasons:

1. Sealed gel

2. Awesome warranty <---so I thought

3. Good overall performance

Well after 3 years my red top is toast. Now, I used it for about 2.5 years with no problems then the truck came off the road for mods. I charged, unhooked the battery, and taped up the terminals (terminals come covered so no voltage loss to surrounding environment) thinking no problems. Well I went to start the heep the other day and nothing. I thought to my self huh? That’s funny. So I threw the battery on the charger and left it on a slow 2 amp trickle charge over night. I came back the next morning to find the battery was HOT Damn hot and expelling some kind of gas from the vents (later I learned this is hydrogen gas....GREAT!). Now why would a battery get hot.....overcharging come to mind? But this charger was mint. Well regardless the battery was fully charged So I thought I would toss it in the heep. Just as I began to turn over the vehicle the battery had NO cranking amps to do its job. Just GREAT I thought. A $200.00 battery is a big freekin' paper weight.

Don't worry the story gets better......

Okay, so now I am thinking take it back to where ever I bought it. So I go to look for the receipt. Can't find it....grrrr. Oh well shouldn't be a big deal right (so I thought). I returned to mopac in surrey lugging this big red mass of CRAP. I talked to the counter guy to find out that:

History-----> never had any good experiences with shop and for the record I will never shop their again.

1. No receipt, No service

(Now they are a business. All businesses have records of purchases right.....hhhmmmm)

2. If an OPTIMA battery (Red, Yellow, or blue top) falls below 11.7 volts (or something like this) for any period of time the gel inside begins to solidify. After that happens the battery is garbage. The odds in bringing it back to life are nil.

I dunno about you guys but I had never heard this or anything like it EVER. By about this time I was pretty choked. Why the heck does optima not provide this information to their customers.......?

Mopac wanted nothing to do with the battery with no receipt.

So, needless to say I walked out of the shop dissatisfied and ticked off.

I contacted optima directly about the warranty. It is 2 years full replacement and prorated after that. The rep said that receipt or no receipt that mopac should be the one I should be dealing with.

So, back I go. But this time with a little ammo. Basically mopac has sent the battery to get looked at. I asked the mopac counter guy what he meant by....LOOKED AT????

I now find out that optima warranties like 0.1% of the batteries sent in. WHY you ask. Well they are good batteries ask long as that darn gel does not harden.

Well this is my story. Pretty crazy I thought. It’s really too bad. The make such cool batteries. So let’s get a little reality check:

1. The warranty is 2 years replacement and prorated for 8. That is if the gel does not harden. As far as I understand this is the only problem with these batteries. So basically there is NO warranty. Again, If the gel hardens you are screwed and out a good chunk of money.

2. Mopac in surrey is an establishment that should be dealt with carefully. (Or not at all in my case)

Overall, I have had a bad experience that as left a bad taste in my mouth and my wallet. I hope this experience helps someone anyone when choosing your next battery. As much as I want to I may not be buying another optima battery....EVER!

Thanks for reading:)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
So really...as long as you don't let your battery sit with low power, the gel won't harden, and it will last a LONG time?

They should have advertised the fact that the gel can harden though...that was bad business right there. I'm sure it say it in TINY print somewhere though...just so they can't get sued.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Shop elsewhere

My Optima has served me well for the last 4 years. In that time I had to get it Warranteed once 'cause I generally beat the crap out of including having it flip out its holder and arc'd on my intake manifold (don't ask). It's been sitting around doing nothing for months in a friends truck ('cause it's outlasted my truck) and is still fine, how do I know, his truck doesn't have a motor and we winched it up to hill to his garage when we had the new motor ready. The battery outlasted the duty cycle of the winch even though it had been sitting for months. In fact that battery has saved our arses more than I care to remember, when all else has failed. I'd say you got the lemon of the bunch. I bought mine at BC Shock and Strut and they didn't even blink, ask any questions or want to see my receipt when I warranteed the first one (and I killed it by arcing it -- it even had melted posts!).

I'm sorry to here you had a bad experience with Optima's and Mopac. I just want to be on the record saying Optimas are the best battery I've owned and will be the last I own 'cause they kick arse.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
My Optima died over the winter...after 8 years of faithful service. I suspect it would have lasted longer if I had it on a trickle charger for the 3-4 mos. it sat unused in the Jeep.

I immediately bought another one and will be sure to keep it charged from now on.

Good luck with your warranty claim. I hope it all works out for you.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Even regular batteries will die the slow death if not kept up in charge.
I've even got a battery tender on my bike to ensure the battery never gets lower than 12.3-12.5 volts.
If you let a battery fall below 12v, and store it like this, chances are it will be ruined.
My ZX-11 has a gel cell battery, so I'm going to be careful about the charge after reading about how this gell solidifys.

·
Registered
344 Posts
well i think the samething applies to those aswell..they will loose there charge, that's why they always check the battery first before they sell it to u...well atleast with me i make sure they do...

allan

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've had problems too

My optima yellowtop was good when I bought it. After a couple months of daily use, I went and left my lights on...The battery was dead..and it was left for a little less then an hour...I got it boosted. My stock battery could play my system for well over an hour when It was in my jeep. Then in the winter, my stock battery only failed once when we first bought the jeep (it froze in -28 or so weather) I park my jeep for 12 hours at a gas station when I go to work and in the dead of winter (-30) I was the only vehicle that had to get boosted...I tried to return it, but got the same run around from both the supplier in town and Optima. Since the winter though I've had no problems with it, though I'm leary fo pushing it to it's ability for fear of it dieing. I'm hping with all the use in the summer it will maybe perform better this winter since it has been in use for six months rather then sitting for a couple of months before facing the winter of last year...Chances of me buying another Optima though is pretty slim. I need reliability not hopes and prayers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts