BC 4x4 Forums banner

Ouch, broken bolt

810 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Gullygossner 
#1 ·
When I did my timing chain, head and other stuff a little while back I broke off the bolt on the timing chain cover that is hiden under the top timing chain sprocket. my question is do i have to pull the head and crap again to drill it out and re-tap or can I just do it as it is now? I am thinking that with it's location I will be able to keep the shavings pretty conatined.

#6 ·
is it broken off flush with the cover, or is it sticking out. did it break trying to be removed, or was it forgotten and snapped off? if there is anything protruding, id try some vice-grips first. if not, you could try an easy out. id think that if stuffed a rag into the chain passage to catch shavings and vacuumed it after it would be fine. i dont think you have much luck drilling and tapping it out bigger. theres not much meat there. not to mention youd have to enlarge the hole in the head for a bigger bolt.

#7 ·
I think it broke off pretty far down, about half way. I broke it putting it back in, guess I over tourqed it, but I think it was just getting week cause I didn't tourqe it very hard(15ft/lbs if i remeber). i guess I am pretty much screwed, just gives me a better reason to put a 350 in, not worth taking all the sheot apart again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.