BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got back from 5 weeks in Oz.
Rented a 4x4 camper, a Toyota Landcrusier (V8 Diesel) Hi-top, 2 x 90 liter fuel tanks, fridge,cooker, 60 liter water tank etc... and hit the road.
We got to some great area's. Travelled along the Southern Ocean coast in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia, along The Indian Ocean coast in Western Australia and along The South Pacific and Coral Sea in Qld. Then spent the last week on Fraser Island Qld., a 4WD only island :D
The truck was great, nice to have that much fuel on board. I brought my GPS loaded with Australia maps and we also had good emergency/recovery/first aid kits with us incl. an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), shovels, snatch straps, Hi-lift etc... So we felt fairly good about venturing into the wilderness alone! Got stuck on the beach in deep soft sand once, but an easy dig out and we were on our way.
Pretty much all the trails are sand, some hard packed, some powder soft. Lots of 'beach access' roads throughout the country, beaches are 4WD only. Saw lots of wildlife!!! Roo's all over the place, on the beach, on the trail, on the road, dead and alive, esp. at sunrise and sunset, saw a few large 'roadkill' snakes in Victoria and a good sized 'live' Python on the road. Had some large monitor lizards at one campsite (they can move quick when they want too!!), we saw quite a few Dingoes on Fraser Island, and sharks and dolphins in Shark Bay W.A.
Didn't spend much time in any city, almost all time spent 'camping' on the coast or in the outback!! Brief city stops included Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane

Still sortin' out pics ( 3000 + pics!! ) but here is a link to a few ...

Cheers and enjoy

(BTW the link will auto update as I add more pics)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=858456451310:1396145228

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
Wow, sweet trip!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Kinda neat seeing a ferry drop you guys directly on the beach like so, many folks out there too? 5 weeks would be a little short eh to see so much country, I'd love to do a 6 month tour of Australia. LR

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, 6 months would be nice, didn't really want to leave (I'm already thinkin about goin' back!)....... but I think we still made the best of it in 5 weeks!!
The Cruiser worked well, it got us where we wanted to go.
We got there at the end of the school summer holiday season, so we had all the prime spots to ourselves, esp in W.A. Some of the best beaches I have ever been too (Google, Lucky Bay, Western Australia), snow white sand for miles, all to ourselves!!
Fraser Island ( awesome place btw) had a few other wheeler/campers over there, but not crowded at all.
BTW...Aussie summer is HOT!!! We regularly hit temps btwn. 35-40 degrees and hit a top of 48 deg. in W.A. !!!!

Robbie

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We went/booked through: http://www.selfdriveshop.com/

Prices vary quite a bit, it's not cheap, but when you think of it, it is a rolling motel with all the best views!! We did a lot of research and we found selfdriveshop to be the best rate/pkg/availability. Check their 'Flex Rates' they include alot of 'extras' at no cost. Each time we booked a Cheapa Campa and were upgraded to the ( newer ) Britz when we showed up. :) Britz, Kea and Cheapa are kinda all one company but not :p. The amount of insurance coverage you get will affect the overall price too. We chose to be well covered, vehicle and medical wise.

·
Registered
525 Posts
man! fantastic pictures! makes me feel like i went there myself, now i can continue to avoid going there lol. I'm would love to go there if everything there didnt want to kill you lol!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just came across this post and love the pictures. What month did you go? I would love to do that trip and explore the outback that way. You have pictures of places I have never seen in any brochures awsome!
Did you use a gps and did you save the trac log?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Was there Feb&March. Used a Garmin 60Csx GPS, saved some track logs.
Couldn't get enough of it, amazing places to be found if ya dont mind going to some really remote areas ......

Here are a few pics of some area's we hit in Western Australia. The white beach we went on for about 125 miles along the Indian Ocean, crazy stars at night and just pitch black outback. Pretty cool and spooky being out in the middle of nowhere like that...

The sign post was just outside 'Shark Bay'

Plus some other pics of "Pieces of Paradise" in Western Australia

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to do it next year at that time. There are advantages to going it solo as in 1 vehicle but my wife would feel alot more comfortable going with another couple as in 2 vehicles. Time to start selling the idea to my friends...

·
Registered
60 Posts
about how much a month would it cost to rent that....im thinking of going to aus within the next year...maybe for up to a year...am looking forword to checking out the outback for a few months

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.