BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Do you mean NP203? The 205 isn't a full time tcase the 203 is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Wil:
Do you mean NP203? The 205 isn't a full time tcase the 203 is.
Good question. I thought I purchased an NP205 along with a TH400 from a wrecking yard. It must be a 203 because it is definately full time. Thanks for your input. Do you know of a way to identify a 203 or 205 other than there shift charasteristics? Such as cast numbers. And is there a part time kit for the 203. I thought I can just remove the driveshaft and reinstall it when I know I'm going wheelin'.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
The 203 and 205 look very different, the only similarity is that they are both extremely heavy. I can't remember if they have the number molded into them but you should be able to see the "NP" symbol on them. I think only the trannies have the number on them. The 203 has a long cone on the end of it which is the most distinctive feature in my memory. I did a search for pics and couldn't find any.

Here is a link to the Milemarker 203 part time kit: http://www.milemarker.com/catalog/4-x-2-conversion.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you sure that was a TH 400? I don't recall the TH 400 being used with the 203. The great majority got the TH 350 and in '74 the SM 465/NP203 combo was available. Usually the TH400 was in the heavier applications and was mated to a 205 (1 tons).
I could be wrong.

Rene

81 Jimmy with stuff

·
Registered
382 Posts
Having Monkeyed around with both transfercases, If you scrape off the mandatory 1/2" of gearoil/dirt/gravel mixture on the rear face,between the output and middle pin(205) there will be a blue tag, on that tag along with the serial# will be the model#. Another good way to identify the 205 from the 203 is that the 203 is waaaaaay bigger and heavier than the 205 also the 203 uses an external shifter and levers to select the ranges and the 205 uses shift rods along with a direct coupled lever.
as for the Turbo400/203 combo these are fairly rare and were I think only available in some early '70s 1-ton's. (CUCV's?) As for the part time kit for the 203, Mile Marker is the only way to go.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota (floyota?,toyotfender?)
Green "pine fresh" air freshener, NGK plugs gapped .035", totally custom license plate bolts, www.OTTindustries.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by michael:

the 203 wont have this cover as its for the idler/counter gear. the id tag is on the front face near shift rails on my chev 205s

Well, I checked this out and I do have a 205. According to the ID tag and the presence of this cover. Now that that is covered, were there any full time 205 units made? As installed my unit has a forward low and a back high. Are the two black and white wires exiting the transfer case involved in shifting out of 2 and 4WD? Am I missing a shift location on the case, such as forward right or back right? Any instruction would be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts