BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK anyone with info on retightening these PLEASE email me with info ... or just post the procedure here (would be good info to have) ... I now have two 9"s with loose pinion nuts and don't have any definite info on if you just retorque them or do you have to use a new nut and set preload again or what .... Thanks

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Theres a crush sleeve in there. If the pinion nut is loose than your preload is screwed and you'll have to put a new crush sleeve in. They cost like two dollars.

Then you tighten the nut a little and check the bearing preload with an inch pound torque wrench. Keep tightening and crushing the crush sleeve until you get the right preload. I dont remember what the specs are, I'd have to go dig out a manual, theres specs for new and used bearings.

If you're too cheap to go buy yourself a manual let me know, I can rent you one.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have four manuals that detail most things ... but wasn't awawre of the crush sleave at the time of posting .... now I do

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine made no mention of "the sleeve" either

------------------
79 Bronco,no tires, 4"coils & re drilled mounts,shackle reversal soon to get D60/4.11 & matching gears for front

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah gonna pickup two of them when the THREE output shaft nuts I ordered ( @ $18 EACH
) come in

1 - 5 of 5 Posts