BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, they are both 4 speed standard transmission. I would like to know if I can put a 7.3 litre diesel from the 2wd and put it into the 4wd truck which has a 351. Do they have the same bellhousing or is this swap possible?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thsi swap will be a very tough task but I am sure it can be done. My Uncle just got a 7.3L Power Stroke put in place of his 460 in his 91 F250 4x4. He had to replace the tranny and a whole lot of other stuff. The whole front interior had to be changed over to 97 which the engine was from. He also had to put in a body lift just to make the engine fit better. The guy who did it for him just put one in a 78 F250 4x4 as well. The front end of your truck will have to be beefed up extremely. The diesel is a much heavier engine then any gas. I am sure it can be done but it will be extremely expensive. Do you have the engine? IF i remember correctly it cost my uncle upwards of $10,000 to do the swap but now I would say he has one of the toughest trucks I have ever seen. First things first you will probably have to get a new tranny, but I am not positive.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you put the 7.3L in your 86 yourself? I missed that comment, The tranny should work if you already have it bolted up to the same engine.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts