BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silverback
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard there is a ancient forrestry/logging road, whatever, from somewhere around Squamish to Port Mellon on the Sunshine Coast near Gibsons. Anyone know if this route is still open, passable, or if my vehicle needs to be heavily modified??? Any info/comments is greatly appreciated.

My parents have a place up there and you only have to pay for the ferry ONCE, from horshoe bay to langdale. Meanging: if I can drive there, then the trip costs nothing because the return ferry is free.

I know it's there somewhere, but I've heard differing ideas of what kind of shape it's in.

------------------
-'95 YJ
-dying to build, need cash

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing for quite some time since we go up there often. Last report I heard was that it hasn't been passable for a decade or more. I hope I'm wrong....email me if you get any ideas as to where it starts or ends and I might like to go give it a try.

I think it had something to do with a pipeline up there...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've wondered the same, I think I recall seeing in my backroads map book that there is the power line that runs along Indian Arm -- so there must be some kind of road.

JP

------------------
99 F250 Super Duty,7.3PSD,reg cab,auto, 4"Procomp lift, 315/75 AT KO's, Rhino Liner, Straight Piped!

·
Chump
624 Posts
Can we scout it on our bikes?

jd
Originally posted by Adam B:
I've been wondering the same thing for quite some time since we go up there often. Last report I heard was that it hasn't been passable for a decade or more. I hope I'm wrong....email me if you get any ideas as to where it starts or ends and I might like to go give it a try.

I think it had something to do with a pipeline up there...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
A friend of mine walked this alleged trail a few years ago. He tells me that from what he saw, there never was a road for vehicles there at all. It is a powerline type trail that at the best of times you can get a bike down, but most of it is hike only.

Sorry guys.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nope, there is small matter of crossing the Squamish river. Not to mention no road on the other side. Nothing around Woodfiber where I work either, however, there is a road from McNabb creek that apparently goes through to the lake on the other side. My buddy has a cabin there and a few ATV's, I'll ask him next time I see him. There is also a trail from Whittakers landing that might be worth boating a trail bike over for.

Mike.

------------------
85 LWB Flatdeck, No spin/True trac, 33's, 5.29's, chevys, transfercase E brake, bushwacker cut outs, boxliner paint job.

[This message has been edited by MEK (edited October 03, 2001).]

·
Silverback
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, doesn't sound good.

Is there anyway at all to get from somewhere around squamish or just past it that takes you to anywhere on the sunshine coast??? I know there are some waterfalls on the sunshine coast side of that mountain, so maybe you can get to them from the squamish side?? Who knows.

------------------
-'95 YJ
-dying to build, need cash

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm TTT'ing this old thread.

I see a trail caled red tusk route in my backroads mop book that connects lake lavely water rec area with some major roads below phantom Mtn. by the Clowhorn river. Could this be the trail that would connect squamish to the sunshine coast?

I am VERY intrested in finding/running a trail that would connect the 'mainland' with the sunshine coast.

Any new info?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was talking to my dad about this issue this morning. He's a bit of an old timer and has done a lot of exploring.

He said that he there is no way to drive to Woodfiber or the sunshine coast per say. What he did say was 50years ago they drove a couple of Cat's from Squamish to the back side of Powel River. Good luck finding a 50 year old trail.

·
Registered
539 Posts
where there's a will.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts