BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm having a problem with my CJ - Dauntless V6 Buick engine. This is the first time I have had a problem with the engine so I need some help from someone who knows what they are talking about or someone who's willing to come have a look for me. It has a double carb on it. Now the other day it wouldn't start and when I looked the gasket on the carb was leaking real bad. I have replaced the gasket and I'm still having a problem. It will start now but if I take my foot of the gas it craps out and it won't start every time. It is really trying hard to start and almost does but then won't. If I try it a minute later it will start with a little effort but again, as soon as I take my foot off the gas, nothing. I'm not overly mechanical so any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Idle speed maybe?

I have the CJ haynes manual and Im looking into it now but I cant find the V6 engine in here. I dont think its stock, What kind of carb do you have?

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 33X12.5 tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
302 Posts
Early CJ's came with the buick V6's as an option to the inline 4.

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, yes, 2 barrel carb.

Well, I'm thinking a vacuum leak so as soon as it stops snowing I'm gonna take a better look. The gasket I got did look different than the one that came off even though the guy at Deckers said it was the right one. Anyways, that's my idea. Does this sound logical to anyone? Any other ideas how I could find out if this is indeed the problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, yes, 2 barrel carb.

Well, I'm thinking a vacuum leak so as soon as it stops snowing I'm gonna take a better look. The gasket I got did look different than the one that came off even though the guy at Deckers said it was the right one. Anyways, that's my idea. Does this sound logical to anyone? Any other ideas how I could find out if this is indeed the problem?

·
Registered
382 Posts
On a Buick V6 in a Jeep would that be a Holley 2-barrel, A GM Vari-jet 2-barrel or a Motorcraft 2-barrel?
What has most likely happened is the parts guy has sold you a generic replacement gasket and it is improperly sealing the carb.
(i'm assuming we are talking about the float bowl gasket?)Did anything get in the float bowl when you had the top of the carb off?
If the truck won't run unless you pump the gas then you could have clogged Jets in the carb itself.. (by pumping the gas you are running the thing off of the accelerator pump.)
It's kinda hard to know without knowing exactly what carb you have....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.