BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered me some new alloy rims and was wondering if it is best to powder balance them instead of putting weights on the rim which I hear can be bad for the aluminum and they also look ugly. What are the pros and cons of putting powder in your tires? I am thinking that moisture might turn the powder into a pancake like batter ready to be thrown on the grill.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Use tape weights on the inside diameter of the rim, not use the crimp on style weights on the outer lip. You can a static balance so that there are only weights on the one side instead of both sides.

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
453 Posts
i would never use the powder unless you have to. if you don't want weights on the outside pust stick ons on the inner rim like said above. the powder can cause balance problems if the tire has any moisture it'll just stick there, causing improper balance, and if you're tire is smaler than 38in it probably won't help the least??

------------------
1985 K5 Blazer Fully Stock even gay 235r15 tires. On the way 4in susp 3in body 35's extensive engine build up and new camo paint

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Theres a shop in Abbotsford that balanced my swampers for me with the powder stuff. Worked great. Until I popped a bead and lost a bunch of it.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use Centramatic Wheel Balancers for my 36" TSL's, it made the ride smoother and the tires don't cup anymore, but they are expensive.

Another option it to patch balance your tires(vulcanize weights to the inside of your tire), it is a fair bit more expensive than the usual balancing methods but if the person is good at it he can balance the tires without any weights on the rim. The only downside is if the patches come off you will have weights floating around inside your tire. I don't know how well this type of balancing will fair when airing down though.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I bought my swampers used and they already had a couple of those heavy patches bonded inside. They're great on a new tires, but after swapping rims the tire guy told me they were probably throwing the balance off, but of course they're bonded in just like a patch so can't be pulled out easily.

If you plan to use your tire for its whole life on the same rims, thats the way to go. Since the patch material is placed on the inside of the tire closest to the tread, less weight is needed than if you tried to balance it with wheel weights.

Just hope you're really good friends with your tire installer.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
1,269 Posts
I use Nabob in my tires. As an added plus, when I roll my window down the fresh, zesty aroma really wakes me up in the mornings.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
BBP said:
I use Nabob in my tires. As an added plus, when I roll my window down the fresh, zesty aroma really wakes me up in the mornings.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

Oh man that's a new one and I have been searching this topic for 2 days.

I would never waste good coffee like that.:D :confused: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.