BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a fairly cheap way to get power steering on a 1978 FJ 40? Are there any power steering boxes off certain vehicles that I could get from a wrecker that would fit? If there is no cheap and easy way then what are my options. Last question, who can do this kind of conversion? Thanks, Mark:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the power stearing boxes off of late 70's chevy cars with the 3 bolt pattern? Any ways, they are supposed to be the same as the Saginaw box.

·
Registered
163 Posts
check out www.ih8mud.com lots of conversion info there. I think the cheapest (and easiest)way is the toyota minitruck method. I went saginaw on mine. and I looooove it.
there's also the scout method, and the very similar FJ/BJ 60 method, and recently people have been using the boxes from Astro vans I believe.
but the toy pickup one, sounds pretty easy to do.
cheers,
ryan

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
4 bolt 4 turn saginaw box

They came out of impallas and stuff. (mine is a 68)

Any generic chevy pump (got mine from a pacer!!:D )

you need a double pulley on your crank and waterpump
fab up some sort of bracket for the pump and then lines.

then you got steering shaft, u-jionts, pillow block

BTW I relocated my alternator to the passenger side and put the pump in the alternator bracket. I bought a passenger side alt bracket so there was less messin around

Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
3 bolt 4 bolt.. whats a bolt between friends!:D Thanks for correcting me, I couldnt remember:rolleyes:

Cheers
Tyler:canadian

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you still have your stock engine in your 78 fj40 i have an adjustible bracket that i machined at work that would do a perfect job to line up your chevy steering pump with the other pullys. I originally had it on my straight 6 for a year until i swaped a V8 into my 78 fj40.
the bracket bolts up to the drilled and taped hole that the engine hoist hook is bolted on with.
if your interested send my an email

matt:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definately interested. Give me a call when you have a chance to explain how it would works, 604-938-0675, Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
for what it's worth I really like my steering box out of a 84 camaro. It has been turning 44's for 15 years and was replaced last weekend with the same box. With my small stearing wheel it drives like a go-cart even though it's "not small" :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I used a mini truck box and pump. I had to make a couple of brackets but it was pretty much a bolt on job.
I spent about $100 total and I did it in an evening, and it looks like a factory setup on my 2F.
I've had no problems with it and it's plenty powerfull with the 35's I'm running.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would really appriceate if you could give me a list of the items you used. I would love to be able to go to a wrecker and know exactly what to get. Thanks for the help. Mark

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I found an 83 mini at a wrecker and took the box, pump, lines, reservior and cooler. I paid $100 for all of it.
I made a simple brcket to mount the pump on the 2F, and a buddy made me a bracket for the box, you will use all the original holes in the frame where the old bracket lived, you won't be drilling any holes in the frame. All this bolts on and the cruiser arm fits the mini truck box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts