BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I am planning on installing power steering into my 90 sammy. I intend to do it myself and make my own brackets for the box and pump. What are some good sources to pull the power steering parts off of. Are early toyota cars good and which ones. Has any made their own power steering and do you have suggestions or pictures.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by earnie:
Are early toyota cars good and which ones.
'79-81 Toyota Supra, Celica, Corona. Make sure u get the entire sys - pump, idler pulley, hoses,..., oh and the rag joint :)
The pitmann arm needs to be rotated 180deg, that's all.

HIH

------------------
-marker

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Let me know when you get all your stuff.
I've done 2 cruisers now and I'll give you a hand.
If you ask me, Sami's are a lot like LC'c, just 2000lb's lighter.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx MARKER for the info.

does anyone else know of some good sources to pull parts off of? I am trying to consider all of my options.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by earnie:
thanx MARKER for the info.

does anyone else know of some good sources to pull parts off of? I am trying to consider all of my options.
Anything that's strong and mounts on INSIDE of the frame rail......just visit your local junkyard - take measuring tape with ya :)

------------------
-marker

·
Registered
676 Posts
does the taper on the ball joints of the zuk match up to the hole in the pitman arm of the toyota cars?

·
Registered
259 Posts
when i bought my truck when it was little it had a tracker box in it and it was really lame, i dont know whether it was the way it was mounted or whatever, even with the 30 inch tires i used to run it was weak, it would also heat up and puke oil all over the place, i also broke the ears off of one, i swapped it out for the stock stuff and am way happier
warren

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
warren said:
when i bought my truck when it was little it had a tracker box in it and it was really lame, i dont know whether it was the way it was mounted or whatever, even with the 30 inch tires i used to run it was weak, it would also heat up and puke oil all over the place, i also broke the ears off of one, i swapped it out for the stock stuff and am way happier
warren
Are you talking about the pump or the box itself? My 'Kick needs PS, and I was planning to use the OEM PS box and the pump thats on its new 'other brand' motor. I haven't heard much about these boxes, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they are good. If its a POS I'll use something else while I'm messing with the front end...

·
Registered
259 Posts
i am not sure whether it was weak due to the pump or the box itself but i wasnt happy with the set up, i way happier with the manual steering, i just happen to get a bit ofa work out when on the trail with my bigger than stock tires

·
Registered
693 Posts
im going to vote for the datsun nissan box from the 85 pu, i have done 5 of these conversions and they all worked great.
the box goes on the out side of the frame and alows you to ues the bigger side kick rads.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
FWIW,
I was out wheeling with Mudkick the Sunday before last in his SAS'd kick. He runs the stock sidekick set up and it steered through all but everything without major concern. The only time it didn't have enough juice was in a near verticle situation (like 85*!) with all of the trucks weight on the front wheels. Once his wheels were turned all the way to full crank he couldn't straighten them back out without backing up the ledge. Then again he has a kinda weird cross over system going on that may due to the physics of it actually help the stock system out. Under a sami I'd say this system would be pretty decent. Especially using a stock diff with relatively small tires (31s). Any thing bigger I'd say go with a toy or nissan. Saginaw is a good option too but a little more work retro'ing the box on the frame.

I've settled on a toy ifs box and saginaw pump with highsteer. I haven't had a chance to test it out but I think it will be OK for now.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Shogunator said:

I've settled on a toy ifs box and saginaw pump with highsteer. I haven't had a chance to test it out but I think it will be OK for now.
It's worked great in 5000LB+ Bronco's for years (turning 35"+ tires), you will NOT have a problem with a Suzuki, even one as heavy as yours:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts