BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting my rack that came with 6 100Watt off road lights. Can the stock alternator power those 6 + 2 on the bumper and the rest of the trucks stock accessories??

Also I cracked on of my Hella lenses and have a small hole where the crack splinters off in 3 directions :angry

Is there a product that can seal that hole yet handle the heat? Fiberglass resin, epoxy ??? I am thinking there must be an industrial application for such a product.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You've got 800w in extra lights, plus approx 130w in stock headlights (65w high beams x 2) plus another approx 100w in misc bulbs and electrical (tail-light, marker, dash, cpu, fuel pump, windshield wipers, fan, etc.) plus whatever your stereo requires, and more for charging your battery. That's 1030w with no stereo and not charging your battery.

I=P/V, so I=1030/13.8 = 75A

The stock 22RE alternator puts out approx 65A when driving (less at idle). Do you really need that much light? I find that a pair of H4 headlights with 80/100w bulbs is usually enough, and for the very rare occasions that I 'wheel at night and need extra light (usually because I got stuck or broke something) a pair of 100w computer-designed large-reflector lights work great. Quality instead of quantity, and it's easier on your electrical system too.

At any rate, remember that "off-road" lights must be covered when on the street; this allows you to mount them up on your rack without being subject to the maximum height and output restrictions.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm do I need that much light..? No they just came with the Rack so had me curious. Plan on really using only the 4 on the rack for off road and using the Hellas on the bumper for On road high beam - once I reduce the wattage and set the angle according to DMV. The ones on the rack didn't come with covers unfortunately - I can turn them face down 90 degree toward the roof, does that count? :p

Where could I get covers for 4x6" lights. Don't know their name they have black, flexible, rubber housing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
pony said:
Hmm do I need that much light..? No they just came with the Rack so had me curious. Plan on really using only the 4 on the rack for off road and using the Hellas on the bumper for On road high beam - once I reduce the wattage and set the angle according to DMV. The ones on the rack didn't come with covers unfortunately - I can turn them face down 90 degree toward the roof, does that count? :p

Where could I get covers for 4x6" lights. Don't know their name they have black, flexible, rubber housing.
Canadian tire sell 6" round light covers. I think they're like $20 a piece, though I may be wrong.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have the same rubber housings on my lights. Ended up finding my covers at Peterbilt wayyyy up north. The covers are made by GROTES and just clip to the rubber flange on the side of the housing.

If possible, try to test fitthe covers to the lights. Mine were a bugger to get on the housings.

Try any Transport dealership for them. Seem to be quite common.

I can get a pic of mine to see if they are the same if u want

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just a suggestion for you, pull a few of those lights off and mount them under your truck. Have you ever been out on a rough trail after dark? Pretty damn hard to see the rocks with headlights. You usually end up tuning them off and using flash lights. But on seperate switches, 4 of them under there would take quite a bit of load off the electrical system.

Mike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts