BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody had any experience with these tires.
I am looking for some 35x12.50 all-terrain, maybe mud terrain tires for my 1988 F150.

I drive mostly on the highways but on the weekends and during hunting season I have to drive through creeks, on old loggin roads, and old rutted tractor roads. I also will be doing quite a bit of driving in the sand!

I like the BFG's but everybody and their grandma has em, want something compareable or better and different.

Thanks for any input

------------------
Brian Shepley
[email protected]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Nimrod:
Wondering if anybody had any experience with these tires.
I am looking for some 35x12.50 all-terrain, maybe mud terrain tires for my 1988 F150.

I drive mostly on the highways but on the weekends and during hunting season I have to drive through creeks, on old loggin roads, and old rutted tractor roads. I also will be doing quite a bit of driving in the sand!

I like the BFG's but everybody and their grandma has em, want something compareable or better and different.
Since I wrote a review of these tires, I guess I should answer this message. ;-) http://www.bc4x4.com/pr/2000/procomp/procomp.cfm

It's been a couple of years now and I'm still very, very pleased with these tires. At RockCrawl 2000 they amazed the Swamper- and Bogger-owning drivers (who were in the majority) on the R.I.P. trail. They also performed flawlessly on the Rubicon, providing amazing flex without once losing air. FYI, I'm running the 35x12.5 mud terrains. I've also run them in really deep (ie: 3 feet deep) mud holes. Compared to Swampers, they're not as good in the mud but they're pretty darned close. On one really muddy trail with those 3-ft deep mud holes, there were 3 vehicles, all similarly equipped except for the tires. 36" Swampers, 35" Pro Comp MTs, 33" Swampers. The mud performance was pretty much in that order, too, the 36" Swampers being the best while the 33" Swampers were the worst. Basically, the super-aggressive tread of the 33" Swamper wasn't enough to out-do the taller Pro Comp which provided a ground clearance advantage. So if you want a good balance between highway and off-road use, I think the Pro Comp is a great choice.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you know if the pro comps come in anything bigger than 12.5 wide?

------------------
I eat 4 cyl for breakfast

·
Registered
20 Posts
You no y everyone and their 4x4ing grannies has bfg's? Its because they are awesome tires. Durable, great tread designs, Last long time, great traction, but yes a little expensive, well worth it though. I love my BFG 33's new style mud terrain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by carson:
You no y everyone and their 4x4ing grannies has bfg's? Its because they are awesome tires. Durable, great tread designs, Last long time, great traction, but yes a little expensive, well worth it though. I love my BFG 33's new style mud terrain.
I'd have to agree with Carson on this one. BFGs are probably the best if not one of the best ALL AROUND tires on the market. Street, mud, rock and snow, they handle most terrain and the new ones look sweet! I hated the fact that everyone and their dog has BFGs but now as I look for new tires myself I am sure I'll be going for new BFGs. If you want a unique tire though, I have run the Uniroyal Laredo MTs. Wicked tires! They absolutely eat through mud and snow, great on the street and they offer a really aggressive tread. Paid only $180 a tire too! Also remember that not many people have the new BFGs so they still stand out. Everyone has swampers too!

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Warn winch,
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 33" Swampers, engine build up in the works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts