BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got a '69 CJ5 that sometimes is just a b**** to start. Was fine and then just started acting up again once in a while. I suspected the fuel pump due to some weird noise and have replaced that already and I had a loose wire on the distributor that kept coming off (too much bumping around he he!) and that is fine too so what could be the problem??? It was recently towed due to dying on the freeway (due to the fuel pump) and the guy at the yard said he noticed a leak in the carb. I don't really know what I'm looking at as I'm not that mechanically inclined - YET!!!! Any helpful hints or anybody who likes working on these things that could have a look see and help me out with what I'm looking at????

Any help or advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the same problem.

Look at the starter/alternator/battery.
I did what you did, replaced fuel pump - turned out to be the starter and alternator.

------------------
1990 YJ going through rebuild!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also check the ignition coil, and maybe have a closer look at the distributor problem you mentioned.

If it's not spark, it'll probably be gas. Maybe your fuel pump died because there's a blockage in the fuel lines, or in the fuel tank pickup?

My advice is to get your hands on a manual for the Jeep and run some tests on the fuel and electrical systems. Your biggest advantage is that that CJ is a pretty bloody simple vehicle to work on...

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the same problem with my CJ5. I had to replace the starter, and battery(terminal was cracked)

if it makes this whirring or grinding noise than take a hammer or piece of wood and tap the side of the starter, if it starts then, replace it as soon as possible, the gear inside was worn out.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.