Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting in a np435 trans in to a 92 yj any tips or advice

------------------
its a jeep thing i still dont undrestand

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yes and a 302 ford motor and d 44 f and r with a spring over with a hydrolic clutch

------------------

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
just finished doing the tranny swap...what do you need to know???

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroits f+r, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im looking for tips ect on putting it into my yj. and the np435 strengths and weekness ect then i can sell off my jeep bits

------------------

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 435 is a good tranny, but don't be thinking that it'll drive anything like as nicely as your 5-speed. The first gear is so low that you'll never use it on the street, so you'll basically have a 3-speed tranny. That means lots of engine RPMs between shifts. Ever driven a cube van?

It's also very noisy, compared to your 5-speed. Lots of gear whine, especially when you downshift.

Now that being said, it's a bloody strong gearbox, it's got excellent synchros, and the 2nd and 3rd gears are good ratios for driveability. I like mine, even with the behavioural problems I mentioned before.

If you haven't seen it, check out my 302/NP435/etc swap writeup here:
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/waterman/waterman.cfm

Someday Cornjeeper will get his act together and do a writeup on his swap as well. Right Andrew?

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

[This message has been edited by cwate (edited February 27, 2002).]

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:

Someday Cornjeeper will get his act together and do a writeup on his swap as well. Right Andrew?
[/QUOTE

ya i will... i will make it my next write-up to do. i just finished a locker install write-up that i need to drop off at larry's place this weekend.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroits f+r, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is there another tranny that would be another good choise? Or is the Np435 just the best option out there?

And what about swapping the x-case. What would be a good canidate for that. I really like everything about the atlas II except for the price. The d300 isn't too bad either. But is there any others? Looking mainly lower gears and a longer rear d/s from the np231.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ

[This message has been edited by OptBlackNite (edited March 02, 2002).]

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
the EB dana 20 is a good choice for a case behind a 435. the best thing about them is the input has the same spline count as the 435 output, which means no custom input shafts.
i am close to finishing up my write-up, just sorting out the pics... hopefully i can answer all your questions in it.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts