BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on Mermaid.5's post on another thread. I have a vehicle which as a factory option came with a rear "dickie seat" so it was actually designed to be a 7 pas vehicle. All bolt holes for the seats and belts are currently on the vehicle from the factory to install this seat and seatbelts. The vehicle was registered as a 5 pas when inspected and registered in BC. The OEM seat, belts and bolts would be used. Would I need to go in for another inspection to have it registered as a 7 pas vehicle?

Regs, as posted by mermaid.5:
Application
25.20 This Part applies to a vehicle that was

(a) disposed of as salvage and subsequently rebuilt,

(b) altered by changes to its suspension height by more than 10 cm from the original basic specification of the vehicle manufacturer,

(c) altered so that its

(i) freight carrying capacity has been increased beyond the original gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle, or by design changes other than those established by the manufacturer of the vehicle, or

(ii) seating capacity has been increased, or

(d) built after January 1, 1971 from new or used parts, other than a trailer with a licensed gross vehicle weight of 1 400 kg or less, and that does not display the statement of compliance under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).

· Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply mermaid.5. Just wish I would of found this set-up for sale 4 months ago before I had the OPI done. So I guess that means I have to pay for another full inspection.

· Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I had a quick look at Division 39 and found the following:

Driver responsibilities

39.02 A person must not drive or operate a vehicle on a highway if

(d) there are more designated seating positions than were provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle when the vehicle was originally manufactured, or

However,

Exceptions

39.03(4) Sections 39.01, 39.02 and 39.021

(c) do not restrict the authority under section 25.22 to issue an inspection certificate with respect to a vehicle that has been altered so that its seating capacity has been increased, and if an inspection certificate is issued under that section with respect to such a vehicle, the vehicle is deemed, for the purposes of subsection (2) (b) of this section and sections 39.02 (d) and 39.021 (c) of this regulation, to have been manufactured with the increased number of seats.

So, you should not have to undergo a full inspection, just an inspection with relation to the installed seat. In fact, I would go back to the facility that did your recent inspection and see what they have to say.

· Registered
854 Posts
I would just put it in and not worry about it.... How is it registered as a 5 pass vehicle?

· Premium Member
704 Posts
I had a quick look at Division 39 and found the following:

Driver responsibilities

39.02 A person must not drive or operate a vehicle on a highway if

(d) there are more designated seating positions than were provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle when the vehicle was originally manufactured, or

However,

Exceptions

39.03(4) Sections 39.01, 39.02 and 39.021

(c) do not restrict the authority under section 25.22 to issue an inspection certificate with respect to a vehicle that has been altered so that its seating capacity has been increased, and if an inspection certificate is issued under that section with respect to such a vehicle, the vehicle is deemed, for the purposes of subsection (2) (b) of this section and sections 39.02 (d) and 39.021 (c) of this regulation, to have been manufactured with the increased number of seats.

So, you should not have to undergo a full inspection, just an inspection with relation to the installed seat. In fact, I would go back to the facility that did your recent inspection and see what they have to say.
I'm not reading it like that at all. I'm reading that to say if an Inspection Certificate is issued under 25.22 ( which says it has to comply with all of the standards ) then the vehicle is then deemed to have had the seats in from the factory.

Besides, there is no such thing as a seat only inspection as the online system has mandatory fields that need to be filled out for all the other areas of inspection.

· Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just put it in and not worry about it.... How is it registered as a 5 pass vehicle?
It is registered as a 5 pas. I also have a one year older one - exact same model which is registered as a 7 pas. I presume it is the same thing if you get a 6 pas full size van and change the seats from buckets to now take stock bench seats. All the mounts are there and you are using all stock hardware and seats. Guess I will have to go into BCAA and have them call ICBC to see what they say is needed to have the registration changed from 5 to 7 pas. Thanks for all the replies. I'll post up what ICBC says.

· Registered
8,068 Posts
Bolt the seat in and move on. It came with the seat from the factory and the previous owner removed it.

For the insurance; next time you renew, tell them that you noticed that their papers say 5 seater, and the truck is a 7 seater, and they will correct their mistake.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

· Registered
854 Posts
:withstupid::withstupid:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.