BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok get into my truck and everytime I go to start it it just goes "click,click,click", but after getting real frustrated it starts but will only stay running if I reve the crap out of it! Is it my starter?

------------------
81 Toyota 4X4
It's not pretty but it was free and i'm gonna beat it till it dies!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
the click click click thing sounds like the battery is dead. That is what out toyotas do when the bettery dies. as for the engine dying. have you replaced the alternator yet?(i think you said it died when you got stuck)

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would say your alt is going. When you rev it up you may get a bit more juice and that is why it runs. The battery is also going to go if it has not gone already as it is not getting charged. Time for an AVR test.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

[This message has been edited by Tarzan (edited January 03, 2002).]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well I already replaced the alternator, but if it was the battery that was dead would the radio still work?, cause it still does and everything else also lights up like a freekin christmas tree!

------------------
81 Toyota 4X4

·
Registered
183 Posts
sounds like starter to me because my friends did the clicking thing and he changed the starter and it was fixed.. if its cold and ya need to rev it probably your choke not working but if ya been driving and its warm and ya still need to rev it at stop sighns and lights probably batt or alt

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had similar problems on my old van. If you feel the battery and starter connections while the "click" sound is happening, one or more of them might be hot. This included the ground connection on the battery itself and the block.
If one or more of these connections feels hot, there is resistance in the connection, and it needs to be cleaned, tightened, or replaced.
My van is a '76, and in the last 5 years I have replaced the connections on the alternator, ammeter, and both battery posts for same reason. I had repair shops tell me I needed a new alternator, starter, or battery, but the problem was always the connector (lucky I found it myself).
Good luck, hopefully thins will save you some cash.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It does not sound like your problem but maybe you have two problems. Check this out it worked for my 4Runner and it applies to all Toyota starters I think. http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html
Lordco stocks the contacts $2.60 incl tax. Toyota $24 each (there are two)
------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

[This message has been edited by Tarzan (edited January 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by Tumbleweed:
I have had similar problems on my old van. If you feel the battery and starter connections while the "click" sound is happening, one or more of them might be hot. This included the ground connection on the battery itself and the block.
If one or more of these connections feels hot, there is resistance in the connection, and it needs to be cleaned, tightened, or replaced.
My van is a '76, and in the last 5 years I have replaced the connections on the alternator, ammeter, and both battery posts for same reason.
What he said,Clean every connection on both the positive and negative sides of the battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou Tarzan, you are the man! Udermind went and picked up that part for $3 and it worked like a charm! Thanks again
Debra

------------------
81 Toyota 4X4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts