BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a radiator for an Early Bronco. I've seen the real $$ ones in the catalogues, are they worth it? Has anyone had problems with the stock 3 core rad overheating trying to cool a V8? Any suggestions for an electric fan (make/model)?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by toque:
Looking for a radiator for an Early Bronco. I've seen the real $$ ones in the catalogues, are they worth it? Has anyone had problems with the stock 3 core rad overheating trying to cool a V8? Any suggestions for an electric fan (make/model)?
Have the stock 3 core re-cored. it will work fine. GOOD electric fans cost as much or more than the $$ rads, so go with a good flex fan and shroud. If you still have cooling probs, go EFI.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have said a bit more. I've pulled the 6 cyl out of the Bronco and have dropped in a 5.0l. It's needs a new rad, so I'm wondering if its worth getting a "better" rad than stock and any suggestions on what a "better" rad would be. Electric fan is for those water crossings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can go to a wrecker and get an electric fan off of a v6 citation, they are quit large and will keep a sblk cool. Almn rads work very well for heat disp. but are $$$, if you are worried about over heat have a 4 core custom built if there is room??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by toque:
I should have said a bit more. I've pulled the 6 cyl out of the Bronco and have dropped in a 5.0l. It's needs a new rad, so I'm wondering if its worth getting a "better" rad than stock and any suggestions on what a "better" rad would be. Electric fan is for those water crossings.
Go to Richardson Rad in Langley. Custom rad to order for my 5.0L Ranger was $300. Thats about what the EB 4core rads cost, but US + shipping. I used a Duff 4 core in my EB, it lasted about 4 years before the seams started to leak. I prefer to deal with someone local anyway. Besides, US exchange and shipping will cripple you. If you kept the serpentine accessories on the 5.0, fan clearance will be VERY tight. The best bet is to move the rad closer to the grill an inch or two. Electric fan from a Merkur XR4Ti is more than enough, and I'm sure there are lots of others out there that will work. For a rock crawler, I'd use a flex fan tho, a lot less noise to put up with. I hardly ever turn the electric on, exept in heavy traffic, but crawling will require constant engagement.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 302 cools just fine with a stock 3 core, stock shroud and a stock 4 bladed fan. Make sure the shroud fits tight and the fan is centered in the opening. An upright winch in front of the radiator might also block a little flow. Yep, even rockcrawling in the summertime at 8,000 feet.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
183 Posts
got a stock rad from a 5.0 bronco 81 for sale if you are interested

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,Locker, ALARM, cb. warn winch. OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts