BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for about a 5'' lift for a 2001 ram, 1500. wondering aprox how much $$$. also if anyone has a used one let me know. thanx

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
One that high will be pricy for the IFS. Give NSOR a call and ask for their BC4x4.com price. They give a decent discount to BC4x4.com members. One other thing you might want to consider is swaping to a solid front axle. You might be surprised at the cost (almost same as lifting IFS). But that should also demend on what you are wanting to have when you are done. You would loose some of the on road comfort having a solid front axle, but you would gain flex for off-road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
lift

I could be wrong but i thought the 2001 rams still have the solid front and the 2002 rams are IFS. If your truck is has the solid front look into skyjackers 7" susp. lift w/ king coilover shocks if its not out yet it should be soon. I'm going to be picking up one of these within the next year. I think skyjacker and superlift make a 5" susp. for our trucks. I have a 3" stage 2 explorer procomp and very happy with it. If you want to go super sized whiplash susp. makes a 10" susp. lift. :canadian :beer :canadian

·
Registered
282 Posts
'Fraid not...2001 was the last year for solid front Dana 44's in the 1/2 tons. Apparently heavy duties will still have a solid front made by AAM in years to come. Anyway for a 5" lift you will be looking at around $2000 just for parts, still expensive but not nearly as bad as an IFS lift, and a lot more functional. Skyjacker, BDS, and Superlift all make 5" kits, Fabtech has a 5.5" kit but I think it's a fair bit more money. I was quoted around $1900(for the front only) for a BDS 5" including tax from Sport Trucks Unlimited. The rear has many options and can range from cheap(blocks and add-a-leaves) to expensive(replacement leaf packs). Anther option is a shackle flip(which I'm working on right now with a welder buddy) which gives about 4" in the rear. BDS also sells the brackets required for this. I've got a 3" spacer lift that I recently added "off road pkg." coils to for about 5" total, haven't tested it much but I do have another set of these coils as well, they supply about 2" of lift if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I didn't realize that Dodge kept the solid front axle for so long. I just kinda figured that all the companies had gone to IFS for their 1/2 tonne trucks. It's nice to hear that they kept it until so recent. Good luck with your lift. These guys are giving you lots of good info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx guys. and the truck also already has the off road pkg. like dodge456, and was wondering how you added that lift, is it body lift or coil spacers??? and what does that allow you to clear?? I am aiming at about 36's maybe 38's but just wondering how much lift that will all take. thanx again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well I had done the 3" coil spacers some time ago, and my stock springs were starting to sag. I've been running 35's with 3" but they had started to rub more and more recently. I scored the off road coils(brand new) on Sunday from a liquidation place for hella cheap(don't think they knew what they had), and that give me the extra 2" over the 3" spacers. Anyway 35's are about the max. even with 5", the tires almost don't clear in the lower rear of the front fenders. 36's would certainly need a body lift on top of 5" suspension. Apparently the new Skyjacker 7" will clear 38's but I would have to see it to believe it. Check into a 3" spacer lift for your truck. It's much cheaper than a 5" kit. Also your truck is about 2" higher because the springs have a higher rate, if you swap in 5" coils you may only gain 3" anyway over what you have now, if you follow me...not positive on that but it stands to reason. Talk to a shop to be sure. Hope all that helps, good luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Dodge 456, i may be interested in your extra front coils. I've got a 96 1500, and want to go a couple inches higher. Don't want anything extreme, that's what my bronco's for. I was going to put a 2" spacer in the front, buy if you've got the 2" longer coils, give me a price. Trying to get a couple inches in the back as well. I thought i could put 3/4 ton springs in, but the leaf pack is wider. Got anything for the rear? Don't really want to do the add-a-leaf thing, and it's already got 2"blocks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would let the coils go for $200 for the pair...they are $165 each from Dodge and these are brand new. They are stiffer than the regular coils but still flex about 10" with the sway bar off. You'd probably want to put some new shocks in there as well but everything else should be fine. As far as the back goes I don't personally have anything for it, but I run an add-a-leaf and a 1" block on top of the factory 3" block...not the best set up but like I said I'm working on the shackle flip. The add-a-leafs aren't such a bad idea as long as you find one that is close to being as long as the next leaf up in the pack. They don't affect ride quality much and my rear suspension does close to 20" of travel as is. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts