BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching my CJ5 drivetrain over to a CJ7 with a YJ tub. I bought a parts jeep that came with a black diamond 3" CJ lift (never been used). I have a rancho 2.5" lift in my CJ and it worked well with 33's on 8" rims and narrow track axles.
I'm trying to decide which lift kit would work better for rock crawling. The black diamond appears to be higher quality with military wrap and the springs are flat where they meet the axle tubes. If anyone has any info on the black diamond springs I'd like to hear how they work.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmmm, just might be able to help on this one.

I ran the B Diamond 3" springs with XT shocks on my cj7 for a little over a year. I found them to be a little on the soft side for 'round town etc, but they did flex pretty well. Never saw any amount of sag in them but like I said, only ran them for a year. I've needed to "civilize" my cj recently to make day to day driving less skittish. Part of this was an idea to lower it back down an inch or so. (I know I know)

I took the top two leaves from each pack (to keep the mil wrap) and used the 4 lower leaves from my last set of springs (2"). While I was at it I replaced the cheesy spring clamps with the better ones, and upgraded the size of the centre bolt (sucks when they break on the trail).

With 6 leaves per pack vice 5, it drives 200% better on road, and having tested it last weekend, doesn't seem to have lost any flex offroad. It is firm but not harsh by any stretch and has lost the dive and weave I find with most lifted jeeps. Best thing is I only lost 1/4" in clearance. Best o' both worlds. It seems to have put the cj at the perfect balance of firm vs comfort. It likes air time now too ('little overzealous on the test run ;0)

Anyway, I'd say try the Warn 3" and if it feels too sloppy, combine the two into 6 packs.

I'm in Vic so if you want to take a look drop me an email.

My .02
Rob

[This message has been edited by McJeep (edited November 13, 2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.