BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind of mine has a 88 ranger and wants to know if he can get a tranny for it, that has the overdrive on it, its a 2.8 liter 4x4. If there is anymore info that you will need please let me know.
Thanks Tim

------------------
92 zuk 32x11.50 BFG
5:13s rocklights....

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
If you're sure its a 2.8 liter engine we have a five speed 4x4 transmission that will fit. $250.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
898 Posts
Originally posted by Dan:
If you're sure its a 2.8 liter engine we have a five speed 4x4 transmission that will fit. $250.
2.8 or 2.9, it should fit. The bellhousing is the same. Heck, even if it has a 4.0, it should still fit
(AFAIK, only the 2.3 uses a different pattern....) An 88 SHOULD be a 2.9 though...

The only thing that might not work is the tranny X-member, if the replacement tranny is a different model (should be easy enough to relocate the X-member)

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
When you put a tranny meant for a 2.9 on a 2.8 the input shaft doesnt reach the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. Yep it bolts up, and seems to work fine, but the input shaft bearing goes away soon.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i t5hink that he wants to keep ti as an auto though..
Thanks for the help
Tim

------------------
92 zuk 32x11.50 BFG

·
Registered
898 Posts
If its an overdrive auto, Wasney's sells them for $350-$450 when they have them. I can attest to the fact that they honour the warranty they give on an overdrive auto for an 80's BII/Ranger, too (they shipped a replacement in from Vanc. Island when the one I bought started slipping, and even delivered it)
If its a non-overdrive auto, I believe the easiest thing would be to swap the tailhousing (and possibly a few other compatible bits-just going by memory of reading up on the swap) into a C4 (which is a cheap and plentiful tranny)

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh, BTW Dan,
Would you consider swapping any of the crap I have out back for that 5-speed? I could always use a spare...

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Originally posted by Blue coyote:
Oh, BTW Dan,
Would you consider swapping any of the crap I have out back for that 5-speed? I could always use a spare...

Jon -- does any of that "crap out back" include a 3.73 rear axle??? Also, I could use another one of those ugly stock steel wheels. . . When they stole my truck, they took the one I bought from you. . .

Thanks!

------------------
Steve Dillen
'90 Ranger. . .pretty much stock.
'94 S10 Blazer. . .pretty much a soccermobile.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys my falt the truck is a 85 4x4 with the 2.8l wants the tranny to have overdrive how much can he get one for ???

------------------
92 zuk 32x11.50 BFG

·
Registered
898 Posts
Originally posted by sdillen:
Jon -- does any of that "crap out back" include a 3.73 rear axle??? Also, I could use another one of those ugly stock steel wheels. . . When they stole my truck, they took the one I bought from you. . .

Thanks!

Only the one under Jody's truck, at least until I find some 4.56 gears for an 8.8 and D35, a D35 Trak Lok, a set of D35 hubs, and the cash to pay for 'em. Once the swap is done, Jody wants her 4.10's back, and I'll have a 7.5 and D28 with open 3.73's available...

And yes, I have some ugly steel 15" rims left. A couple even have tires on 'em.

And tman: See my post above...Wasney sells them for about $350-$450, pulled and ready if they have one......

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

[This message has been edited by Blue coyote (edited January 27, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Blue coyote (edited January 27, 2002).]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blue Coyote: thanks have passed the info onto my pal ...
Any good wed sites that show how to do a lift in one of these trucks ??

Boney Boy : Sorry trucks not for sale yet

------------------
92 zuk 32x11.50 BFG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts