BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much fun as I find using my TTB axle to grade the trail for anyone who's following me. . .I want to build/buy some kind of front skid plate that will protect my steering and take the majority of the hits instead of my axle housing. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there reasonable 'off the shelf' plates for these trucks? What have you B2 and Ranger guys done?

Thanks!

------------------
Steve Dillen -- Really, really stock '90 Ranger.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
I paid around $200 for my stainless steel skidplate from Ford. It does the job, but I think I could have found a cheaper aftermarket one. Oh well.

Leo

"my cat's breath smells like cat food" - Ralph Wiggum

------------------
2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab. 4.0L V6, 5-spd auto, 4.10 l/s, Off-Road Package, BFG Mud Terrains, RadioShack CB/Wilson Flex 4' antenna, and custom West Coast pinstriping.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Leo, you have a different front end than Steve. Different skid plates involved.

Steve, I have seen some skid plates around, but mostly for the front diff and its "hinge"

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pro comp make sone for about $150, that I've heard good things about. Or you can go to th emessage boards at rrorc.com and ask for wanderer. If I remember correctly he makes nice solid skid plates for rangers. NateS

------------------
My Rig

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey nateS thought you would appreciate this pic
http://www3.telus.net/bro_greg/

------------------
89 ranger 5" tall and a front lincoln locker
rear auburn and lotsof neat gadgets

·
Registered
898 Posts
As far as I know, unfortunately, the skidplate that Wanderer did up was also for the SLA front end.

You may be able to get or make a skid plate that bolts to the diff itself. The other option is to lift it so you can run larger tires....

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
189 Posts
NateS
the front reciever cost me a 24 of beer at a local machine shop i always take stuff in friday morning cause i know they like a cold beer at the end of the day ,the mount is just a 5"x 3" piece of angle iron 29 1/2 " with a 10" long piece of 2" inside diameter square tubing butted up against the 3" angle and welded all along the sides my only mistake was that regular square tubing has a seam inside that i had to grind down with my dremel ,i think you can get tubing thats cleaner on the inside so the hitch slides in without binding the 3" angle bolts right up to the sway bar mounts and the 5" to the frame ,i'll try to get my bro over with his digi cam to take a picture

------------------

[This message has been edited by gregjack62 (edited August 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
189 Posts
NateS check out the reciever pics i put on your home pg. under misc. pics there is also a description on your message board

great pics by the way
how much air did you get in the B II to dent the roof with the speaker box

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
My brother in law says the front was about 3-4 ft off the ground, the back end kinda rode down the other side of the hill. It was a good thing I had already beat the fenders back for clearence, otherwise I probably would have done some damage. But I can see why some people swear by the ttb front end for high speed/jumping, too bad its so expencive to do anything to it. Thanks for the pics, I might have to see about doing something like that. It'll have to wait awhile though, right know I'm collecting parts to swap in a c4 to replace the a4ld.

------------------
My Rig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts