BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on a gravel road yesterday, leaned out my window and when I slam on the brakes, only the fronts lock up.

Is this normal? I've noticed a lack of stopping power lately, could it be that my rear brakes are toast? Or do I need to adjust my rear proportioning valve?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Could be several things, but check the cheap and easy first. Make sure the drums are not full of mud/dirt and make sure the shoes are adjusted. The auto adjusters do not auto adjust alot of the time as I have found in many different vehicles.

Wes

·
Registered
920 Posts
As far as i have been told this is normal as the front disc brakes will grab a lot harder then the rear drums. thats why the front usually has more %tage in stopping like 60/40 for trucks... this is just what i have heard. For surely take off the drums and check er out though, better safe then sorry. Hey are you coming down on saturday to wheel pheonix with lars, the boys and me?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Parnelli_001 said:
As far as i have been told this is normal as the front disc brakes will grab a lot harder then the rear drums. thats why the front usually has more %tage in stopping like 60/40 for trucks... this is just what i have heard. For surely take off the drums and check er out though, better safe then sorry. Hey are you coming down on saturday to wheel pheonix with lars, the boys and me?
I was just looking through teh Haynes earlier and it mentioned that the LSPV (load sensing proportioning valve) is responsible for not having the rear brakes lock up under hard braking conditions. So I guess that you're right

And nope, won't be around on Sat unless someone buys the truck tomorow and I can get a LC real quick!

·
Registered
920 Posts
you can always be my co-pilot if you want. always need someone to work the gps! Hey are you going to be up little white 10-11? hopefully see ya up there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey burnt03, sounds like you may need to adjust your rear drums. Magna just had the same problem on his rig. But I found that he was so far out of adjustment that his rear brakes didn't work at all. A little cleaning and adjustment all is good.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Parnelli,

Prob won't make it up little white (unless the offer for the copilot still stands)

Killer,

Adjusting.... prob not the same as magna's, but by removing the dust plug/guard at teh back of the backing plate and can rotate a little star shaped thing? Adjust as in tighten them in closer I guess right?

Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
yeah burnt03, the star that is probably at the bottom of the drum can be turned until it gets tight to turn anymore i believe but dont know. i worked on a drag car doing that but that really didnt matter if the rear brakes were grabbing too much or not, check up on that answer. i do know thats how you *expand* the brake pads to contact the drum though, just how far you turn i dont know. The offer of co-pilot still stands, but only if you have a baja xt 30x9.5 r15 tire with you! haha be glad to have ya. where do you want to be picked up?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Right well You guys are all right. the little star thing that turns in the adjustment but before you monkey with that take the drum off and clean out all the dust with a hose and put some antiseize on on the backing plates where the shoes sit. Plus you should also make sure that your wheel cylinders aren't leaking just pry the little rubber boot back if there's fluid dripping out then new cylinders are in order, and if any fluid got on to the shoes then new shoes are in order, any who once that has been done just adjust the star thing and spin the drum untill you can just hear the shoes contacting the drum, same to the othe side and your good to go. If you want to some help I'll be around till monday give me a shout

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Westonian said:
Right well You guys are all right. the little star thing that turns in the adjustment but before you monkey with that take the drum off and clean out all the dust with a hose and put some antiseize on on the backing plates where the shoes sit. Plus you should also make sure that your wheel cylinders aren't leaking just pry the little rubber boot back if there's fluid dripping out then new cylinders are in order, and if any fluid got on to the shoes then new shoes are in order, any who once that has been done just adjust the star thing and spin the drum untill you can just hear the shoes contacting the drum, same to the othe side and your good to go. If you want to some help I'll be around till monday give me a shout
Hey Weston,

Wouldn't mind some help on Monday if you have the time. Never done anythign with drum brakes before

·
Registered
100 Posts
if it's on a four runner then after you have serviced the brakes and it still doesn't lock up then adjust the load sensing valve.

I've had to do this to dam near ever four runner I have serviced. there is a fine and course adjustment. They usaully are so far out that only the coarse adjustment will get them working. so loosen the valve itself and pull it down to max adjustment. then road test and fine tune till they no longer lock up or the antilock system acts up during hard braking.

Biggest change this will make is those times you have to back down a hill.

Something not right when you see vehicles with over 100,000 k on them and they still have over 50% of thier rear brakes left.

·
Registered
49 Posts
H
Hey Westonian
Wouldn't mind some help on Monday if you have the time. Never done anythign with drum brakes before
yea sure I'm leaving for Van tomorow around 3 I think so any time in the morning probably around 10:00 would be Cool with me Give me a jingle

Yea not to sure if that porportioning Valve really needs to be even touched let along adjusted never had to do anything with it before, and plus thing is so rusted on older 4 runners that your probably just asking for trouble..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Weston

I tightened up the brakes a bit today and there's a considerable difference already. I'll do it a bit more tomorow and it should be good to go.

Thanks for the offer for the help, you've probably got lots of crap on your plate already though!

Later buddy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.