BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well i need a rear bumper. I have the factory tire carrier. Well i'm gonna go very basic, just a c-channel bumper or something. But i want to adapt the tire carrier to the steel bumper. So first off, do think that would be possible to adapt the tire carrier and second, where are some good places to pick up some steel? I've heard metalmart, but expensive, any other good ones out there.
Thanks
Jordan

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've seen a lot of REALLY nice stuff coming from Serious Metal lately. Try them if you want it built to your specs. They do awesome work.

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

·
Registered
102 Posts
Custom 4x4 Fabrication has a killer setup that is made to accept their tire carrier. Get that one and sell me your factory carrier.

lol

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
The C4x4 is still pretty spendy for those of us earning Canadian $$'s. If you have ability to build your own it'd be much cheaper.

C4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier for a '97+: $875

C4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier for a pre-'97: $763

Then you've got freight, broker fees and GST on top of that. Adds up real fast if you play by the rules. Even assuming that you have it shipped to a US buddy and pop down and install it, wheel a little in Walker Valley for that broken-in look, and then sneak back across the border, it's still a fair investment.

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, i'd prefer to fab my own. Since i've got the major parts i'd need to build my own. I just have to measure what size bumper i'd want, and get it cut. Then i'd have to bolt on the two parts from the stock bumper to the steel one and thats it. Just wanted opinions on this, and a good place to get a c-channel steel bumper. Not planning on spending that type of money, just what a very basic one.
Thanks
Jordan

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by XJman:
Ya, i'd prefer to fab my own. Since i've got the major parts i'd need to build my own. I just have to measure what size bumper i'd want, and get it cut. Then i'd have to bolt on the two parts from the stock bumper to the steel one and thats it.

Thanks
Jordan
Idea theft:

Since you're building your own, you may want to consider integrating the rear bumper with the likes of a Class III receiver hitch for a solid union with the XJ - the OEM bumper mounting holes are pretty sturdy, but you can significantly improve on them by fabbing up some metal "tabs" that tie the bumper into the same bolt holes that are used by the rear hitch/gas tank skid-plate.

The C4x4 bumper relies on the OEM mounting points, but when you put the tire carrier on, you get some extra steel plate tabs that tie the bumer into the last bolt hole of the receiver hitch for a little extra stoutness to handle the weight of the wheel/tire/jerry can/Hi-lift.

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
565 Posts
I built my own with the help of a friend (he's a better welder than me) for $200 bucks including welding gas. I did mine with 5x5 box tubing (air tank) and a swing out tire carrier plus 2" reciever. Take the time and do as Dale suggests. Use the mounting holes for the reciever/skidplate as well as the bumper mounts. Also make up your own bumper mount brackets, cause the stock ones are made of really thin metal and rip in half easily.

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave could you post some pics?
Taking on that project next month.

------------------
I aint no stinking monkey!
'88 XJ 6 banger 2 dr. 6" lift 32's Rusty's tow hooks(bent) Electric fan S.Y.E.
Homemade B.P.E. K&N Air Filter

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Dave, you should market that rear bumper. Solid, functional design and the built-in air tank is a great feature.....now I know why your back-end kept wanting to float as you forded the river (an absolutely necessary water crossing at an established "ford", but the water was a little high.....as in "swept away, out into the Pacific" high
).

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hey Dale, do you have any good pics of my bumper in your files? If not how would I post a jpeg pic of it so someone could see it here.

Dale - you doing any wheeling this weekend?

------------------
Dave

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by DaveW:
Hey Dale, do you have any good pics of my bumper in your files? If not how would I post a jpeg pic of it so someone could see it here.

Dale - you doing any wheeling this weekend?

.......great minds.......I checked for pics of the rear of your truck before my last post to see if I had anything that would show some detail - I don't have any; sorry guys.

The photos of you in that mud hole on the east side of Stave (pics from the back) are on my old PC and no longer accessible - they're also on a CD that I've floated out to the 4WDABC, but I don't know who ended up with it.

I might try to get out on Sunday for an easy run with the Herd of Turtles in the Chilliwack area, but it depends on how things go on Saturday. Whatever I end up doing re off-roading will likely be on Sunday and it'll be "easy" since I don't want to have to work too hard to get the truck cleaned up to allow NSOR an easy working platform (don't like to give people a grimy rig to work on - all the applicable nuts/bolts will be soaked in penetrating oil and things will be as clean as they can be).......hoping to have the suspension put in sometime right after Thanksgiving.

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Oh, as for the second part of your question, shoot me the jpg file and I'll put it somewhere on the web such that we can link to it here for people to see........I still think you should charge for this!

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
565 Posts
What's your current e-mail address? I try'd sending you one but got no reply. I think it was a telus one.

------------------
Dave

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Dave's rear bumper:

(re-sized courtesy of Larry, Wil or ??? - thanks guys)

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

[This message has been edited by DMMcG (edited October 04, 2001).]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Hey Dale I have an 11 hp pressure washer for the weekend, so you can get dirty on Sunday and we can clean it in a hurry on your way back.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled
69 Ford, Really big long term project
72 Datsun 510, old, ugly but it runs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts