BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weel after installing gears in my d44 they appear to get really hot after driving. I tourqued the bearing caps to 90ftlbs and pinion nut to 100 ftlbs. I did not use new bearings. Backlash is good. Pattern is deep. The only thing that bothers me is the guy who did [buddy of mine] put in 2 shims on the outside of the bearing. what is the problem would putting the shims in like that cause it grief. This thing gets really hot like burn my finger hot. Need help asap

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
revolver shackles coming
with motor swap..

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
what part of the diff is hot. the housing??? and what type of gear oil did you put in it and how much of it did you put in. i hope it is 90 weight.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pumpkin is very hot and the housing tubes are hot but touchable. And yes I used 90 wt. I put enough in so that it dripped out...

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
revolver shackles coming
with motor swap..

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Have you opened it up and checked the backlash again?? If it's too tight, it will definitely get hot.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
138 Posts
Which bearings were these shims put on? pinion or carrier? I would check the preload if it was the pinion. See how hard it is to turn the pinion by hand. You will have to remove the carrier to get an accurate check. Ideally you would use an inch pound torque wrench to check, but if it is getting that hot, it is probably very tight and almost unturnable by hand. By turning by hand I mean grab the yoke and twist it. If it is okay, put the carrier back in and check the gear pattern to verify that it is correct and then measure the backlash. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to Ian at IWE he said that if the pinion preload is ok and the oil is not burnt then keep driving it.. I will be checking preload tomorrow. He said that if you jack it up try to turn it, if it turns easy then don't worry about it. He also said that diffs can get hotter than rads. So I will check it

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
revolver shackles coming
with motor swap..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.