BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

About three years ago I was hit by a mazda protege exactly on the centre of of my back left wheel - spun me around in the intersection. ICBC ended up (1) putting in a used replacement axle shaft, (2) replaced the rear sway bar and (3) a used left rear spring. Now what I get is clunk as if the rear end is catching up when I accelerate from an intersection - always worse when I am on a street pointing down, let off the brake and then touch the gas slightly.

So my questions are (1) could there be something wrong with the rearend or (2) could be it be related to the used axle shaft and/or spring? All three? Also should I be considering buying a couple of new springs from Chrysler. Who could I have look at the rearend?

1998 XJ bought new now with 129,000 kms.

Txs, Michael

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
have you ever checked the u-bolts to see if they are tight? they need to be tightened at least once after installation.

if they are tight then it sounds to me like your slip yoke on the driveshaft could be binding on the output shaft splines on your t-case. ever checked the t-case oil/fluid?

i used to have a ford that required greasing of the slip yoke every 6 months or it would clunk. if i used regular grease it would last 3 months and ford's ptfe teflon grease lasted about 6 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.