BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the rear axle of my 2004 GM 2500hd 4x redone in January.

For the sake of cost and time (both were a factor) the mechanic and I agreed to sleeve the slightly pitted inner pinion shaft. Inner pinion bearing was wailing for months prior. all other bearings in rearend were redone at same time.

Now my connundrum is that just the other day the pinion bearings FRIED out of my rear axle!!!!:cwm23: An astounding 72days after the complete rebuild!!!

I called the repairman immediately from roadside once it occurred AFTER taking pics and video of smoking rearend. He gave me a tow truck company name and number and said "I'll put it on the hoist and look at it before we can figure anything out."
2 days later I come to shop take pics of where I hit a deer just days prior to the rear end blowing, for insurance which had to be contacted about truck no longer being drive-able. Owner/mechanic comes out and states that my truck is fixed!!!:wtf: WTF!!! is right here...

NO notice to me about trucks condition little own gettig verbal nor written agreement from me to do ANY repairs on truck... just did it. THEN hands me a bill for $2800 stating "I dont expect you to eat(pay) all of this but we'll have to come to an agreement/arrangement."

now that I have vented the twisted tale... :violin comes the question....

Am I legally obligated to pay for unrequested repairs upon inproper previous repairs???

bill for previous repairs has over $1600 against it already, and lucky i had a minivan for sale that i could drive since truck is/was toast...

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
$2800 is about double what it should be. it looks like he inflated it so he could divide it in half to make you feel like you are getting a good deal.

ring/pinion and bearings should be somewhere around $600 already marked up. what exactly did he replace according to the bill?

do some reasearch on the price of parts first and then offer to pay for the parts only according to what you priced out.

legally speaking if you signed nothing then you shouldn't have to pay anything but at the same time he still has your truck right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
original invoice of first repair -

1 - rear pinion oil seal @ $53.35
1 - pinion spacer @ $ 32.54
1 - Front pinion bearing and cone @ $80.40
1 - Rear pinion bearing and cone @ $120.66
1 - Pinion pilot bearing @ $63.06
2 - Side Carrier bearings @ $120.66 = $ 241.32
1 - Differential gasket @ $17.24
1 - Differential friction modifier @ $23.03
1 - Transfercase output seal @ $67.28
2- "differential" cleaner (wow fancy brake cleaner) @ $6.97 = $13.94
Gear oil $14.85
eviro charge $0.75
Shop supplies $15.00
Machinig Costs $160.00
Labor $848.00

-=-=--=---=-=--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--==--=-==--==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--==--==-=-=--=

Repair #2

rear differential assembly $1480 (from salvage) [14bolt 10.5" w/ 4.10 ratio] {whole axle with proper ring gear ratio =$1350 With housing @ same salvage)
gear oil $14.85
enviro $0.75
diff cleaner $6.94
differential friction modifier $23.03
diff gasket $17.24
shop supplies $15.00

Labor $806
Towing service $220

add taxes in of course...

so my """rebuilt""" axle basically got replaced with a salvage unit. wish i'd have had time when original repair was authorized... would have replaced rear axle with salvage unit myself grrrrr

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
wow, that is an expensive axle

charged 8 hours labour to re&re it?

is he using oil that is spec'd for your truck? seems to me that the oil should cost quite a bit more for a newer style rear end.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i don't get it, sounds like a bad rebuild in the first place, and if you signed nothing allowed repairs to be done he has don't have much to go on. I'd tell him he should have done it right the first time, then ask him why he had to replace the housing? Also you don't think that the accident had anything to do with it? maybe you want to get icbc involved, depending on how shifty the guy is, he may get a mechanics express lien.

·
Registered
81 Posts
original invoice of first repair -

1 - rear pinion oil seal @ $53.35
1 - pinion spacer @ $ 32.54
1 - Front pinion bearing and cone @ $80.40
1 - Rear pinion bearing and cone @ $120.66
1 - Pinion pilot bearing @ $63.06
2 - Side Carrier bearings @ $120.66 = $ 241.32
1 - Differential gasket @ $17.24
1 - Differential friction modifier @ $23.03
1 - Transfercase output seal @ $67.28
2- "differential" cleaner (wow fancy brake cleaner) @ $6.97 = $13.94
Gear oil $14.85
eviro charge $0.75
Shop supplies $15.00
Machinig Costs $160.00
Labor $848.00

-=-=--=---=-=--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--==--=-==--==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--==--==-=-=--=

Repair #2

rear differential assembly $1480 (from salvage) [14bolt 10.5" w/ 4.10 ratio] {whole axle with proper ring gear ratio =$1350 With housing @ same salvage)
gear oil $14.85
enviro $0.75
diff cleaner $6.94
differential friction modifier $23.03
diff gasket $17.24
shop supplies $15.00

Labor $806
Towing service $220

add taxes in of course...

so my """rebuilt""" axle basically got replaced with a salvage unit. wish i'd have had time when original repair was authorized... would have replaced rear axle with salvage unit myself grrrrr

Man, you got whacked. Who is this guy? I had a complete re & re of my F & R diffs in my 02 2500 Suburban for just under $1950.00, taxes in. This included Motive 4.56 Gears, Master Install kits, and labour. I supplied the Synthetic diff fluids. Also, as far as being responsible for the bill on your truck he would have to prove that you authorized him to do the work (Signature on work order) Any reputable company would have told you what the problem was and asked your permission to fix it. If you didn't sign the work order, you should be off the hook, however, I think he can take you to small claims to get his money or try and put a lean on your rig because he could use the excuse that you had a verbal agreement to do the repairs. It's a tough one to figure out. Go to some other reputable places and try and get them to give you a quote on what they would charge for the repairs this guy did. IMHO, He is really ripping you off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.