BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what my options are for a rear recovery point on a S10 ZR2?

------------------
01' Chevy S-10 ZR2 Stock (for now)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your best option is to get a receiver hitch. Other than that you dont have too mutch of a choice. Chev didn't allow for a whole lot of options on the rear. If you want you can also try to find a trailer ball that will fit in the rear bumper, but it could still slip pretty easy.

------------------
'98 S10-ZR2 3" Body, 5" Suspension. Big Stereo...

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
I would not recommend using a trailer ball, guaranteed to rip your rear bumper off. Your best bet is to get a trailer hitch and a shackle.

Leo

"my cat's breath smells like cat food" - Ralph Wiggum

------------------
2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab. 4.0L V6, 5-spd auto, 4.10 l/s, Off-Road Package, BFG Mud Terrains, RadioShack CB/Wilson Flex 4' antenna, custom dents and West Coast pinstriping.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by KelownaZR2:
. If you want you can also try to find a trailer ball that will fit in the rear bumper, but it could still slip pretty easy.

NONONONO!! This is asking for an accident to happen, i cant remeber the site but there is a pic of a trailer ball snapping off and flying through some guy's front window when they used it for a tow point. Bad idea, not my idea of a fun way to die. You could look at getting a custom bumper made up which incorporates rear towpoints. Im sure lots of the guys on this board could do that for you

Rhys

------------------
1991 Samurai
SPOA, Rocklobster, Warn 8274 winch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some research and here is what I came up with that would work on my truck.

Going to look at getting a class III 2" Hitch Reciever and I found a local company that sells a Clevis type attachment for that type of hitch that is rated at 4 tons.

Please provide input thanks.

------------------

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Sounds quite similar to my set up. Only thing is, I have a custom made shackle that slides into the hitch.

Leo

"my cat's breath smells like cat food" - Ralph Wiggum

------------------
2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab. 4.0L V6, 5-spd auto, 4.10 l/s, Off-Road Package, BFG Mud Terrains, RadioShack CB/Wilson Flex 4' antenna, custom dents and West Coast pinstriping.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by ZR2Styln:
I did some research and here is what I came up with that would work on my truck.

Going to look at getting a class III 2" Hitch Reciever and I found a local company that sells a Clevis type attachment for that type of hitch that is rated at 4 tons.

Please provide input thanks.

Perfect. Look for a hitch that uses as many bolts as possible. The stronger the better

Avoid "universal fit" hitches.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I found a local company that sells a Clevis type attachment for that type of hitch that is rated at 4 tons.
What is the company that sells the Clevis attachment for the 2" reviever? I have been looking for one.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Completely original with Forestry box, but I added 31" tires.
360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Chris S:
Perfect. Look for a hitch that uses as many bolts as possible. The stronger the better

Avoid "universal fit" hitches.

Probably going to go with Durahitch. It's class III and it's rated at 5000lbs where as most are rated 3500lbs.

------------------

·
Registered
802 Posts
A couple of things:

A trailer ball is NOT a recovery point. If that was the only attachment you had, I would refuse to recover you. Not worth my life or damage to my truck.

Doug at TrailMax is currently recovering from a dirt bike accident, and will be unable to do anything for a while; he has a broken arm and two broken wrists. http://media-north.com/4wd/dougwrist.jpg

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
[email protected]
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Greg:
A couple of things:

A trailer ball is NOT a recovery point. If that was the only attachment you had, I would refuse to recover you. Not worth my life or damage to my truck.

Doug at TrailMax is currently recovering from a dirt bike accident, and will be unable to do anything for a while; he has a broken arm and two broken wrists. http://media-north.com/4wd/dougwrist.jpg

Wasn't planning on using a trailer ball as recovery point.

------------------

·
Registered
222 Posts
Any chance Doug had some extra rock sliders in stock? Or does he only make them if he gets a order. I really need some rock sliders like the ones on your truck Ryan. Do they offer good protection for the doors as well?

·
Registered
539 Posts
ewwwww, I would chew my arm off before I let some doctor screw a stainless steel wrist bone into my arm! that has GOT to suck.

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

·
Registered
376 Posts
This is what I am looking for, does anyone have any input on this company? I am looking for rock sliders and bumpers and this looks pretty good, sorry to hear about the crash though. Any other sites (locally) for this type of equipment?

Here's the link I found it at.
http://www.trailmax4wd.com/

It's a local company.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts