BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking this is a good idea because:
-your tires wont get worn too fast {2wd on cement}
-gives the best traction for the front end when in 4wd.

why doesnt everyone have a spool in there front end?

thx

------------------
**WANTED** used winch {any} and or a winch bumper for my 88 toyota pick-up
email - [email protected]

-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Turning becomes a big problem with a spool or welded front end.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turning at speed???
or turning at all?
only 4wd or 2wd too?

thx for the help, i know nothing

------------------
**WANTED** used winch {any} and or a winch bumper for my 88 toyota pick-up

-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
71 Posts
Spools in the front are good if you're only into going in a straight line. If you feel turning (in 4wd), well, it takes a while.......

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

[This message has been edited by Lil' blue Yoyo (edited March 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
what type of wheelin are you doing where you can't turn the wheel and how fast are you going,my front and rear are both welded and I love it shure a locker would be great and some day will have but for now the price and performance is right.Just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you have manual locking hubs a front spool would be just fine. It wouldn't effect your road driving at all because your hubs would be unlocked.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i do have manual hubs and that is what i thought. but will it change my turning while on dirt/rock.
ie. tight slow steep uphill "s" turn

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Think about it this way. When you turn one of your tires (the outside one) spins faster than the other. With a spool or welded front diff this does not happen. Now think of what would happen if you were trying to turn and your tires were wet and muddy, or if you were driving on snow. You'd be sliding worse than a skip at a curling championship!
Some people solve this problem by only locking in one front hub, thus only allowing one wheel to turn. Not too sure how good that is on the axle, let alone the driver having to jump in and out to lock/unlock a hub for tight corners.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pete

you would go with a locker or nothing in the front?
and what about the rr?
thx for all the info

------------------

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited March 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd probably lock the rear and put a true-trac in the front for a dd. Depends on what you do, if it's a dd, rock crawler, snow by etc., If you're into the slower stuff where you have time to back up and kinda shimmy around a corner then you could probably weld your front up, and unlock a hub if you want. I know a guy who threw a detroit in his front end and can't steer when we're rippin in snow, so he leaves one hub unlocked (kinda defeats the purpose).

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you can afford it, an ARB is the best thing for a front diff.
Since I can't afford one either, eventually I'll put a locker up front.
But a spool or a welded diff up front might be ok, but that's if you absolutely never have to go anywhere but a straight line.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
after all that i think im going to leave the front and put a full detoit locker in the back

thx for the help guys

------------------

·
Registered
392 Posts
Most of my freinds run lincoln lock in the front of their toys. Problem #1 is broken birfields (unless u run a ring). Watchin these guys with one hub unlocked is a joke. My open front does way way better than 1 unlocked hub ! And it seems that whenever they have to lock it up again, is when theyre already stuck !!!

------------------
ZookPower

·
Registered
544 Posts
Come on it only 30$
when I had that Front diff in my truck(welded) I could haul ass in the snow

your power steering will hate you like pook said.but you will go twice as far up the trail

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts