BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i took apart the t-case there were 4 little balls that look like they are from a bearing, but they're not. i didn't see where they came from. what are they for and where do they go?

------------------
The beast must feast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Originally posted by randbeast:
when i took apart the t-case there were 4 little balls that look like they are from a bearing, but they're not. i didn't see where they came from. what are they for and where do they go?

They came out from the shifter mechanism. It's kinda hard to explain in here....in the nutshell that's what makes your shifter "click - click" when switching gears :)
Rather useful things; make sure you re-use them.
OTOH, by deliberately "missing" one you can get the "split_shift" pattern, which is: 2Hi, 4Hi, 2Lo, 4Lo. Zuki rules!!!

------------------
-marker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how does that 2low thing work?


another question... the middle gears don't line up perfectly with the input and output gears, that doesn't seem normal. are they suposed to be that way, or is that bad?

------------------
The beast must feast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Originally posted by randbeast:
how does that 2low thing work?

another question... the middle gears don't line up perfectly with the input and output gears, that doesn't seem normal. are they suposed to be that way, or is that bad?

2Lo thing is rear axle ONLY output. It will help you to limp back to the civilisation if e.g. you have broken front diff/Birfield, etc.

Gears suppose to line up with each other....bad things happen otherwise. Could uB more descriptive please???

------------------
-marker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
side of counter gears aren't flush with side of input and output gears? could there be a spacer missing?

also, should oil seals on input/output shafts be replaced? or is this not necisary?



------------------
The beast must feast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Originally posted by randbeast:
side of counter gears aren't flush with side of input and output gears? could there be a spacer missing?

also, should oil seals on input/output shafts be replaced? or is this not necisary?
There is a few spacers "strategically" placed shafts. They're suppose to help aligning the in/out gears with the countershaft cluster. Have a close look and try to figure out the correct placement of all that stuff in there. Kinda hard to explain here....

As for the seals - yes, it's a good idea to change 'em now; they're only few bucks and it will save you tons of work - otherwise you may discover an oil leak the next morning after you put your t/case back in :)


------------------
-marker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey marker, do you have the torque specs for the t-case? both the manual and the rebuild instructions i have don't have any torque specs.

------------------
The beast must feast
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top