BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to see the amount of folks captivated by old towns & mine exploring etc. I must recommend a trip we took a few years ago. Lots of exploring/four wheeling etc in the area. We went Quesnel > Wells > Barkville > Bowron Lakes. Absolutely wonderful relic hunting, scenery and pristine camping/wildlife & lakes. If you have not planned you holidays yet, I def recommend this route & camp out at Bowron at one of the lakeside sites. Barkerville is cool but also lots of old stuff in the bush too & FSR's (!!!!) four wheeling (!!!) you bring extra fuel cans & the exploring is infinite......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Right on!!! Thank you so much for posting this. A friend had mentioned the Bowron Lakes as a great place to explore, about three years back, and I lost the info, thus forgetting the name of the lakes. Your thread strung a reminder chord. Ha Ha. Mucho Gracias!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We made our base camp at Bowron Lakes Lodge - camped right on a fine pebble beach & took our forays from there. There's just tons of old roads & cabins/mines etc. My spouse spent quite abit of time digging around old cabin middens & unearthing old medicine bottles & tools etc. A GPS would be helpful as we had no effective map & did had to do compass/km readings etc to avoid getting kinda "lost" a few times. Barkerville could be considered abit "touristy" but not like Disneyland or Vegas. I thought it was great, they have gone to great pains to keep authenticity & actually have actors that run around with goldpans & costumes. I will say that for us Bowron Lakes exploring/wheeling, stargazing was the highlight. If you don't want to camp at the lodge, there's lots of FS Rec sites too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts