BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The were originally meant for strapping the vehicle in place while on the boat. Probably not a great idea to tug from them if you're stuck to the rockers in mud, but for minor stucks they're okay.

A designated Tow Strap is the best, something designed for the purpose is obviously the proper tool for the Job.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

G

·
I know my Sidekick is a little older, but if the newer ones are similar, they have the transport strap points and recovery points as well. On the front and back they have a loop welded onto the crossmember betwen the frame rails. The transport loops are oval holes cut into flimbsy sheet metal loops.
Best bet is to look in your manual, 'cause mine tells a little about what the recovery point can handle.

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
'89 Sidekick 3" body, 31'S
auto, 513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by PaulB:
Are the tow loops on Vitara/Sidekicks OK for offroad recovery? Is a tow rope or tow strap best?
The large loops front and rear on the J1's work well as a recovery point. I have used mine extensivly and not had any problems. You could add some higher rated tow hooks like the XJ's have to do, mouting with several bolts into the frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.