BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm thinking about re gearing my truck. So I'm trying to figure out what i should go to. I have a 1992 4runner with a 22re in it and 4.10's. Right now I'm running 31's and it's pretty hard to keep up the speed limit. I want to go to 33's this summer so I'm thinking of running 4.88's. I've heard that's the best if I want to go 33's. But what I'm wondering is if that will be ok on the trails with 4lo. Will it be too low gearing or will it be ok do you think? Just wondering about some thoughts on that. Thanks

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
Hey I'm thinking about re gearing my truck. So I'm trying to figure out what i should go to. I have a 1992 4runner with a 22re in it and 4.10's. Right now I'm running 31's and it's pretty hard to keep up the speed limit. I want to go to 33's this summer so I'm thinking of running 4.88's. I've heard that's the best if I want to go 33's. But what I'm wondering is if that will be ok on the trails with 4lo. Will it be too low gearing or will it be ok do you think? Just wondering about some thoughts on that. Thanks
imo, you can never be too low on the trail in 4L. if you can find a set of used oem 4.88s then you should be able to swap out the rear 3rd, and swap out the whole front diff. they came out of 3L auto 4runners w/ tow package iirc. however, that rear 4.88oem is kind of a bastard child and cannot be regeard like std 8" toy v6 diff. otherwise, if you're planning on pulling your diffs and putting in new gears, then also think about putting in some sort of locker as well, since you're in there. with the lil 22RE, id perhaps put in 5.29s. should go great with the 33s, and give you more headroom if you want to move up to 35s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my truck used to be automatic and came with factory 4:88s and i put on 33 s and shortly after did a five speed swap and the gearing is a perfect match now great on the trail and not to steep on the highway at 100 kph engine runs at about 2800 to 3000 rpm its the v6 the truck climbs nice in 4 lo on the trail that would probally be a perfect gear match for the 22re.

·
Registered
786 Posts
imo, you can never be too low on the trail in 4L. if you can find a set of used oem 4.88s then you should be able to swap out the rear 3rd, and swap out the whole front diff. they came out of 3L auto 4runners w/ tow package iirc. however, that rear 4.88oem is kind of a bastard child and cannot be regeard like std 8" toy v6 diff. otherwise, if you're planning on pulling your diffs and putting in new gears, then also think about putting in some sort of locker as well, since you're in there. with the lil 22RE, id perhaps put in 5.29s. should go great with the 33s, and give you more headroom if you want to move up to 35s.

Yeah the factory rear 4.88 diff cant be regeared to anything but another factory 4.88. But if the time ever came to go to 5.29s a used 4.10 diff is usually at most $40

·
Registered
569 Posts
When I regeared before going to 33's, I simply swapped in a set of diffs from a 4Runner that had the factory 4.56 ratio. A good option if you're on a budget, or can't afford a lot of down time. They've worked well for me so far (on and off-road...I do more exploring than crawling), and is decent with the 22RE, although 4.88's would be more ideal. Anyway, just another option for ya.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Great. I have 4.10's in my truck right now so if I decide to go to 5.29's I'll have diffs to regear. Thanks for letting me know that though. And thanks 4wdarren I was actually gonna do the third member swap. I've read up on that too and it seems like the simplest way to swap the gearing. Just trying to find a set right now... kinda hard to find.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will be swapping out my factory 4.88 V6 diff in the next month or so if you are interested. I have it in the front of my Solid axle truck right now and am swapping to a 4.88 hi pinion. The 3rd was in great shape when I got it and has very little use since I installed it. It will bolt right into the rear of your truck then all you have to find is a 4.88 front diff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.